C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

2000 c 230 bas/esp light on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 c230 kompressor
2000 c 230 bas/esp light on

My daughter is driving a 2000 c230 kompressor.We bought the car new.It has 110,000 miles on it .The bas/esp light has been on half the time or more.I have taken it to the dealer several times.They have told me several things from something in transmission to a rear wheel sensor ,the part alone was $600.00.At any point I have done nothing.They did not have the part and needed the car.Now we are seeing the real problem from long term dealer neglect to fix the problem.Her last trip to college,320 miles ,she and my wife,in a separate vehicle,had stopped at relatives for a break.When they were leaving the subdivision their was a small puddle of water.My daughter hit the small puddle of water at a slow speed and hydroplaned across the road and hit a curb and damaged the rim to the point the car was undriveable.My wife called triple a and had to get towed the remaining 100 miles to college,where it was taken to a triple a service place and they balanced the tire and tighten up hub bearing and line up frontend,?Not for sure but they seemed to think everything was ok.BAS/ESP light still on.Last week my daughter was on interstate with a friend.This was the 1st time the vehicle had been on the open road.She called and said the rear end of the car seemed like it had no control.It was raining again.I am currently looking at everything to do.I have given her strick advice not to take out on open road.I may have to haul home or whatever.I have ordered a brake switch and will replace when I am their and tryout.I am sure not so lucky to cure everything.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
People will try to help but you need to tell us the codes the dealer pulled or the problem description. Better yet, get your daughter to drive to Autozone and get the codes scanned for free but make sure she writes down the exact code number that pop up.

You may get lucky with the simple brake switch idea but if there are lots of codes, it would be good to know before you go up there so that you can plan for obtaining reasonably priced parts.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C280 Sport
Is the cruise working? this has a direct effect if the Brake light switch is kaput. Your cruise will stop as the switch also runs the cruise , so if you hit the brake it shuts off the autopilot