C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Exhaust smell in cabin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 c230 Kompressor
Exhaust smell in cabin

Hi everyone,
Lately, I've been noticing a bit of an exhaust smell in the cabin of my c230 kompressor. I opened up the air filter box and the air filter has some oil on it near where the output goes to the engine. It must be some type of backflow from the engine. The oil level for the engine is near the maximum level. When the car is running, and you stick your head under the hood, there's a strong smell of exhaust being blown from the engine fan. There are no signs of smoke or anything.

Also, I've calculated that I've been getting around 14mpg, which is terrible! Given it's been mostly street mileage, but still, terrible.

My guess is that I should replace the air filter, but could the pcv valve be malfunctioning too? Or something else?

What do you think?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
More than likely something is wrong with the EGR system. There is the oil separator or the two check valves that could be clogged/malfunctioning, tubing that could be split, etc. I need to get in and check this whole system too because my mileage is not the greatest. I have just never gotten around to it though. Knock on wood, no oil showed up on the filter last time I checked. When you start searching the forums to research this, make sure you just research the kompressor engine. The V6 and NA 4 engines utilize a different system.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 c230 Kompressor
Oh, thank you! I will probably bring the car into the shop at some point to see what is going on. My mileage is unacceptable, even for city mileage.