C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

No Heat or Air Flow PLUS no Center Console Air PLUS vacuum issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
No Heat or Air Flow PLUS no Center Console Air PLUS vacuum issue

Hi. I have looked through the posts from the last few years, but, can't find exactly what I am experiencing.

Approx 2 yrs ago air system (both heat and a/c) stopped blowing air intermittently. When it did work, the temperature of the air was fine. Sometimes hitting a pothole could get it to start/stop working. My husband messed with the motor wires under the glove box, then it would work. Sometimes for months with no problems.

Recently, the air (again, both heat and a/c) rarely works and definetly does not work until you start driving for a few minutes. Also, now, I have no air through the 2 vents in the console above the radio. Tested both a/c and heat, no air.

Then, engine started to sputter when we tried to accelerate and pass a car and also when stopped at red light. Check engine light came on. Restarted car, light out. Then, after another trip back on and stayed on. Auto Zone shows a misfire code on one of the plugs.

I am not sure if this is 2 separate things or 1 big vacuum issue. My husband is not sure if the air flowing is reliant on vacuum pressure or not.

I have seen where the 2005 models have a recall for the sputtering. Their circumstances sound just like mine, but, of course mine is not in the recall.

I could not visually see any broken hoses/tubes from inspecting under the hood. (Referencing a picture from a post on this site).

Just wondering if I can get any thoughts before I turn this over and drop a wad of money for completely redoing the vacuum system in the car.

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2010, 08:42 PM

1995 MBZ C280
sounds like 2 diff problems... as for the ac vents... those are reliant on the vacuum system.. do your power headrests in the back seat work? if not you got a vacuum line not connected.. the vents and rear headrests are on the same vacuum line.. under the hood on pass side theres a cover plastic... remove it, under you will find your air lines... make sure those r connected. in my case (95 c280) the vacuum line for my vents (same problem as yours) was acctually in the middle against the firewall. directly behind the motor in the sleave you will see wires going threw it. it should be a white or light grey vacuum hose... good luck

as for it sputtering... change the sparkplugs and see if that helps.

ken
Old 01-21-2010, 08:55 PM

C230
C230

Thanks KennyMBZ.

The headrests do work. Maybe we will take off the console cover and take a peek at the vents to see if something does not look right.

Since the headrests work, and there is no air coming out in most cases, does this point more toward the air blower motor being bad? My husband and I have gone back and forth on this. Bad motor vs. vacuum issue. When he gets back in town he is going to test the voltage to see if it goes up and down to the motor, as in the early stages the air would go at low speed, then high speed, etc. Found a post that referenced it.

I just hate to take it to the shop unless I have some idea of what is going on.

Thanks again.