C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Bosch vs Mann vs Hengst vs...?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2003 | 06:42 PM

Bosch vs Mann vs Hengst vs...?!?!

Hi all

I've been shopping some parts online (namely oil filter, fuel filter and air filter). I figure those I can probably swing myself, at least for starters!

But, was wondering if there were opinions re Bosch vs Hengst vs Mann (on oil filters), Mann vs Hengst (on air filters... but then I saw an earlier thread regarding K&N (I think) air filters?!) and Bosch vs Knecht (on the fuel filter). Which are original equipment (if any)? More important, which are best? Price is not that much an object, at least on these products!

Many thanks as always

Jim

P.S. All the online parts sites seem to be pushing 0W-40 synthetic oil for a 96 C220... but I'm also picking up comments for regular 10W-40 for all but the most severe months, and regular 5W-30 for winter (I'm in Maine, when I say Winter I mean Severe Weather). Still confused.
Old 03-25-2003 | 09:31 PM
Almost a Member!

C220
The answers you'll get to these questions are *highly* subjective, so take the answers you get with a grain of salt.

Oil Filters: Mann and Hengst are both OEM. Most techs I've spoken to are dead set on using one of these two brands. There's a slight preference towards Hengst, so that is what I use. I've heard that Bosch is pure crud, and overpriced to boot.

Air Filters: Mann and Hengst are both OEM, I haven't heard of a preference for either, so being superstitious, I use Hengst for consistency. I have heard horror stories from using K&N setups, including premature MAS failures. IMHO, the incremental power gain you might see from switching to this is not worth the cost or risk to your engine (Some techs I've spoken to are of the mind that the way to get more air through the filter is to increase the pore size, allowing larger particles to get through, causing a shorter engine life, which you won't notice until a while down the road.) If you go with the paper filters, change then regularly. I do mine every 10,000, which might be a bit too often, but I think it's cheap insurance.

Other filters you might want to think about when you're buying-- Cabin filter & Power Steering Filter-- again, Hengst and Mann are OEM (Make sure to use german PS fluid when you change the PS filter, either MB or Febi/Bilstein which you can get from the online shops--do *not* use ATF as some might suggest). Tranny fluid/filter is also something you might want to keep in mind. Also, if you're buying, you might want to pick up some Bosch spark plugs, which you local Autozone might not carry.

Oil. A million different opinions from a million different people. I've run different grades of Castrol Syntec (Changing every 2,500-3,000- a bit on the neurotic side) for the past 17+k miles, and it's treated me right. I change to a 10w-30 in the winter, and go to 10w-40 in the summers. I might switch to Mobil 1, as they now sell a 0w-40 in the States, which some people like to use year round. In Maine, I might go with the Mobil 1 0w-40, which will have a low pour point and easier cold start. Irrespective of which oil you use, letting the engine get warm when you first start will serve you well. Here in Virginia, which is nowhere near as cold as Maine, in the middle of the winter, I sometimes give the engine 2-3 minutes before putting it in gear, and try to keep RPMs under 2,500 until it hits operating temp.

My favorite online shops:
www.buymbparts.com- Rusty is very knowledgeable and helpful. They will also pricematch competitors. Free shipping $75+.
www.importec.com- Have seemed to have the best pricing lately, and have free shipping on $50+ orders.

Enjoy the car, it's fun to own.
Old 03-25-2003 | 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 SLK-280
In my opinion, they are all the same, as they are all oem brands. You will get the same results with each brand.