C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Hid Kit. Again....

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-02-2003, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 MB 380SE
Hid Kit. Again....

Okay, well I was bored at school and I was lookin' up aftermarket parts for w202. I came across this website that says the HID Kits have their BULB PATTERN CORRECTED. So, I guess they aren't scattered like other HID Kits. Think it's true? Cause for the price it isn't to bad. I don't want a kit that's gonna blind on coming drivers or cars ahead of me. I'm big on lighting and I can't help it .

Here's the link:
http://www.creativecarconcepts.com/xenon.asp

Old 04-02-2003, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1998 C230
bulb pattern corrected shouldnt be confused with beam pattern corrected.

correct me if im wrong, but from what I understand beam pattern has to do with how your bulbs are aimed WITHIN your headlight housing to reflect the light properly outward to create the correct beam pattern.

if they are just selling the kit without the actual headlight housing, i dont think they are corrected at all for proper beam pattern~
Old 04-02-2003, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 SLK-280
It says "beam pattern corrected." Isn't that the right one?
Old 04-02-2003, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Doesn't matter...

A housing is intended to work with a bulb of a certain pattern and a certain light output.

A US DOT halogen housing actually reflects some light above the headlight. This is useful in unlighted areas, or places where reflectorized signs are in use. This light reflecting upwards is not a problem when used with a relatively low-output bulb (up to 1100-1300 lumens). Put a bulb that's too bright in there, and you're causing glare to people.

An E-code halogen housing has a sharper cutoff. While this is good in urban areas, it might not work as well in some situations. A brighter bulb in an e-code housing will cause a brighter hotspot, and still have more light at the edges. Depending on when the housing was designed, the lighting may be even, but there will likely be hotspots. This is a better choice for an HID bulb, but it isn't ideal and can still cause glare, especially since the hot spot is TOO HOT and may reflect back on wet roads, in the rain, etc.

A true HID housing is intended to put the right amount of light in the hotspot, and all that extra light from the bulb? It uses that to illuminate the sides and right under the headlight better. This gives the initial appearance that the HID headlight is lighting everything better. And it is, except there's that sharp cutoff again. And above that sharp cutoff, is nothing. Now that the area below the cutoff is brightly lighted, there's more contrast between the lighted and non-lighted areas, and your eye can't see as well in the non-lighted areas when there's more contrast. In an unlighted area (rural, etc.) this non-lighted area can be very black, and certain situations can cause problems.

So do you care about other people? Get the right headlights, and they'll probably work better for you too. Don't care about other people, or only care about the cosmetics? Do what you want, but remember your headlights are illegal and can result in a fine. In some places, this can be as simple as a fix-it ticket; in others where this is being cracked down on, it might mean more.

-s-
Old 04-02-2003, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1998 C230
yea what scorchie said...

I knew i read that somewhere :P
Old 04-02-2003, 10:28 PM

1985 MB 380SE
"I SEE!!!", SAYS THE BLIND MAN

Knowing my luck, I'd get caught by the NYPD if I had those... So, I guess it's reg. euro headlights from ebay... Thank you for explaining. I thought I had something good going there for a sec. NO LUCK W/ HIDs unless I buy OEM.

BTW, scortchie, do you use AIM? If so what's your sn?
Old 04-02-2003, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1998 C230
im going to just get an aftermarket hid kit thats plug and play..
beam pattern will not be dot approved, but cops cant tell and dont mind here.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1998 C230
oem xenon kit with the housing is expensive. like 1k+

and it will be missing the auto leveling feature or something
Old 04-03-2003, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 SLK-280
I just learned more than I ever wanted or imagined I would ever know about light bulbs. Thank you Thomas Edison.