C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

C280 questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2010 | 09:30 AM

C280 (1998)
C280 questions

Hi all

Got here via google, and the thread of oil filter change was very useful thanks.

I bought this car new in 1998 and had it serviced, when I made the big bucks, now I am on the bread-line, I have to do it myself.

Surprise, I have 12 spark plugs and we only ordered 6, other 6 on the way and will put them in next time round, we replaced one per cyl.

My air flow sensor (AFS) (I think) has an intermittent fault. This has already been replaced by a merc dealer, as you know they are not cheap. Been driving w/o the sensor connected for awhile, and seems to go faulty when the engine gets hot, like when I use a trailer, it only affects the kick down on acceleration, forcing me to use the manual shift down.

My fuel consumption was very high, we connected the AFS again and it seems to be OK now. On idling, the car sounds like it is missing, but after the oil change and spark plugs (6) it is performing better.

The car only has 167k km and is 12 years old, paid for and reliable.

So here are the questions.

Is there anything one can do to improve the idling problem?

Do all 12 spark plugs work all the time?

The ATF dip stick has a special tool needed to remove, is there a trick or a tool one can acquire? Pretty stupid IMO that one cannot check this level.

Any way to reset the service alarm w/o taking it in?

Lastly, the C280 has the adjustment on the headlights that allows you to remotely adjust the beam like when you have a trailer, this just stopped working recently, any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Bernie.Kruger; 05-29-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-30-2010 | 12:56 AM

2012 C63
Resetting the service reminder is easy, do the following:

1 - Get in the car and close all the doors
2 - Put the key in the ignition and turn it to position #2
3 - Press the odometer reset button (O) 2 times so that the FSS countdown appears
4 - Turn the key back to position 0 (off)
5 - Press and hold the reset button (O) while turning the key back to the #2 position. Keep holding the reset button until you hear a beep.
Old 05-30-2010 | 02:26 AM

C280 (1998)
Thanks it worked the second time round, I forgot to close the door first time round *doh*