C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Radio Problem - Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Audi S4
Radio Problem - Need Help

Well, over the weekend I got a new battery installed, and when i turned back on the radio, it asked for a code. Me being my impatient self, started punching codes until "WAIT" comes up on the screen. Now, its been over 48 hours since then. I found out my code and the manual says to wait only 24 hours. However, in this 24 hours, it says to leave the key in ignition position 1? That would be pretty ridiculous if that is true. Has anyone encountered this problem before? If so, is there a way to bypass this, other than disconnecting the battery again?

On the contrary, the day before I was looking for a new head unit and I was thinking of just getting the Pioneer Premier DEH-P550. Any suggestions on a single cd unit to replace with that is not too pricey, nice features, and good sound? And doesn't make me wait 60 hours to listen to my music again....Not that the music of the engine notes at high revs are bad... But you need music while driving, you'll understand once you experience this lol.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 C280
Personnaly, I would recommend against Pioneer. I've had 2 of them and they both had problems after about a year or so. The lights quit on one and the other one started falling apart physically. Unless they have improved recently, they seem to be attractive units with nice specs and features that unfortunately just aren't built to last.

I have an Alpine CDM-7874 in my C280 and an Aiwa CDC-MA01 in my Jetta, both of which I'm pretty happy with, and neither is very expensive. The Aiwa is especially cool, because is has a stealth face, plays MP3 CD's, has a front-panel aux input and a steering wheel remote, all for only $200 from Crutchfield.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 SLK-280
If you punch in the wrong code too many times it will completely disable the system. You will have to take it in to a dealer and let them fix it. If you have the factory bose system you can't change out the head unit without changing out all the speakers and amps first. Well, you can, it will just sound like crap and eventually will mess up your amps. If you are just wanting a CD player, get the Alpine 6 disc changer. It's a very simple plug and play installation that can be done in 20 minutes.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Almost a Member!

'95 C280
I guess the Alpine changer is a good option if you don't mind trunk-mounted changers. I prefer a single CD in-dash unit.

[i] If you have the factory bose system you can't change out the head unit without changing out all the speakers and amps first. Well, you can, it will just sound like crap and eventually will mess up your amps. [/B]
I think my Alpine sounds great. The speaker-level outputs drive a "balanced line adaptor" that in turn drives the Bose amps. I suppose if you ran an after-market head unit straight into the Bose you might be asking for trouble, but this setup if working great for me thus far. I don't have much info on the adaptor, but it was installed by Traffic Jamz in Encino, CA.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 SLK-280
"balanced line adaptor"
I have never heard of such a thing. What does it do?
Old 04-08-2003, 06:28 PM
Almost a Member!

'95 C280
I don't have much info on it. I have actually never even seen it. They installed it inside my dash somewhere. I'm guessing here, but it seems to allow the speaker outputs of an after-market head unit feed the inputs of a factory "premium" power amp, such as the Bose, without connecting any of the (Alpine) output leads to common or ground. When I first had the Alpine installed at Pacific Stereo in Woodland Hills (Ca), they did a lousy job. I think they just connected the Alpine outputs directly to the Bose. There was a whining noise in the speakers that varied in pitch, acording to engine RPM. After repeated visits, it became apparant that Pacific didn't really know what they were doing and didn't know how the get the whine out, so I gave up on them. I called Traffic Jamz and knew right away that I should have gone there in the first place. Chalk it up to experience, huh? They told me about the Balanced out adaptor and put it in for $100, including labor. Works like a charm! If you're interested, their phone number is (818) 990-5267. Hope this is usefull to you.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Almost a Member!

'95 C280
I don't know if this is the same unit, but it seems like the same idea...

http://www.scosche.com/scosche/electronic/SLC4.asp
Old 04-08-2003, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Audi S4
Well, this morning, after calling up Mercedes Roadside, they recommended to leave it on for a while and it should come back. Well, that's what I did and within 2 minutes of me driving to school this morning, it came back to life and voila! MUSIC!

I'd still like to hear more about people's opinions on head units for the C280, recommendations, etc. Thanks
Old 04-08-2003, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 SLK-280
http://www.scosche.com/scosche/electronic/SLC4.asp
I had no idea that existed!!! Now you can get any head unit you want. I think the new Denon looks really cool. Just go to www.crutchfield.com and pick one out. I do like Pioneer equipment, I have a Premier head unit in my Grand Cherokee.