C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Heating/ AC Controls lamps not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C230 Kompressor
Question Heating/ AC Controls lamps not working

Hi,

I just recently bought a 1999 C230 Kompressor, and some of the lamps that backlight the heater/ac controls are out. specifically, it's the blower speed rotary dial lamp, the drivers temperature control, and the rear heated window switch. The other two switches are fine, as is the passenger temperature control and the rotary control for air diverter.

Can anyone help me out and explain how to get replace the missing/out lamps. The most I have been able to do is get the knobs off. I have no idea where to go from there.

Much appreciated in advance.
Steve
Old 09-18-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C43 AMG
You Need to replace the Bulbs in side the A/C Unit. I did this back in may, they are not expensive, like $4.00 each, you will need to replace both of them. You will need to remove the radio, unscrew Trim screws, and Remove the A/C Unit. Disassemble unit (partially) and remove bulbs and install new bulbs. Do in reverse order to install back. Should take like an 1.5 Hours at most and I Recommend highly to let someone at a body shop or a mercedes-benz technician to do this because you will need special Mercedes Tools to remove the radio and to disassemble the A/C unit with out breaking the unit.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:08 AM

1999 C230 Kompressor
Question

Originally Posted by Tony_AMG
You Need to replace the Bulbs in side the A/C Unit. I did this back in may, they are not expensive, like $4.00 each, you will need to replace both of them. You will need to remove the radio, unscrew Trim screws, and Remove the A/C Unit. Disassemble unit (partially) and remove bulbs and install new bulbs. Do in reverse order to install back. Should take like an 1.5 Hours at most and I Recommend highly to let someone at a body shop or a mercedes-benz technician to do this because you will need special Mercedes Tools to remove the radio and to disassemble the A/C unit with out breaking the unit.
Thanks for the info Tony_AMG

Oh Darn it. I was hoping this could be done easily from the front side. without having to strip the fascia off. I haven't even seen any screws to remove the dash. The radio isn't a problem as the guy who owned it before me had an after-market stereo installed. Disassembling the AC unit could be an issue though!

I have seen as I've searched, there are two types of controls. The rotary dials like mine, and the second is a digital control (with digital display) - Is it a year thing (1998, 1999, 2000, etc) how some cars have the second and no the first like mine?

Thanks
Steve
Old 09-19-2010, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C43 AMG
There are two, the Digital which is standard on the C43, and on the Class from 97-98-99 the rotary dial knobs are standard on C230s, I don't really knows if on the C280 had the digital A/C Unit or Knob Units, but for for all C-class models from 2000 had digital units, including the sport c230, c280 and c43
Old 09-26-2010, 01:32 PM

The radio removal tools are $8-$10 at the dealer. Wait some time and order them if thay do not have a set. Its a lot cheeper than 90-100/ hr for labor.