C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

1996 W202 shut down while driving 70 MPH!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C36 AMG, 1970 LeMans Sport, a truck
Originally Posted by jta00r1
My car is still sputtering on cold starts after replacing with a new Bosch maf, sometimes on start up it will go to 1k rpm for a few seconds then just die. I'm not sure if this is related to the cold start up problem but another thing my car does at 70mph it sometimes misfire or lose power and regain power and lose again back and forth. Any help?
When I traded my temp sensor for one that was modified (to turn the fans on cooler) my car did exactly what yours is doing when cold. It would start, then immediately die unless I forced it to run by rapping up the RPM's.

the MAF solved my hot driving problems....I also have a new O2 sensor tho in the front...
Old 12-10-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by sinlab
Thanks. The MAF is about 30K old I'm guessing. I have to check my records. I did remove and clean it a week ago when I changed the OVP. With that being said, I have used a K&N filter for that last few years and I've heard they don't play well with the MAF. I've also changed to a FRAM air filter.

Before the car just died, I did have a history of misfires (mostly cyl 1 and/or 4 or multiple misfires). These misfires would usually happen upon acceleration out of a slow curve. I'd hit the gas and feel a hesitation and then bam, CEL and default mode (running on less than 6 cyl). The codes would usually be cyl 1 or 4 misfire or multiple misfire. I would clear the codes with my reader and would be fine for a couple hundred miles.

So before I tow this thing to swap out the CPS, I'll check the plugs and swap out the MAF (found one cheap) and see what happens.
Give the car some time to learn the new MAF, it will run like crap for a few minutes after you install it... just be ready.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:46 AM

1996 C280
Originally Posted by RANDY_P
Give the car some time to learn the new MAF, it will run like crap for a few minutes after you install it... just be ready.
Ordered the new MAF. I just hope it'll start to give it a chance to learn it. Also, just to be clear, you changed the CRANKSHAFT position sensor right? Or was it the camshaft position sensor? thanks!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:26 PM

Ordered the new MAF. I just hope it'll start to give it a chance to learn it. Also, just to be clear, you changed the CRANKSHAFT position sensor right? Or was it the camshaft position sensor? thanks!
It was the crankshaft position sensor....Not cool to change.

rjp
Old 12-16-2010, 04:09 AM

1996 C280
It was the crankshaft position sensor....Not cool to change.

rjp
Gotcha. I found a mechanic that's stuck working out of his house (DUI) that will swap it out for $25. If the MAF doesn't resolve the issue, I'll pick up a CPS and tow the car to him and cross fingers. Does $85-90 sound about right for a CPS?
Old 12-16-2010, 11:36 AM

Gotcha. I found a mechanic that's stuck working out of his house (DUI) that will swap it out for $25. If the MAF doesn't resolve the issue, I'll pick up a CPS and tow the car to him and cross fingers. Does $85-90 sound about right for a CPS?
Yup....right on the money.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:41 PM

1996 C280
Update: The new MAF didn't did solve the issue. Car still cranks but won't turn over. Just ordered the Crankshaft Position Sensor from Pelicanparts and should be here by Tuesday.

Randy, can the CPS be removed/replaced without getting under the car? I'm thinking of setting aside a day of frustration to do this myself.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:35 PM

Update: The new MAF didn't did solve the issue. Car still cranks but won't turn over. Just ordered the Crankshaft Position Sensor from Pelicanparts and should be here by Tuesday.

Randy, can the CPS be removed/replaced without getting under the car? I'm thinking of setting aside a day of frustration to do this myself.
no way to remove it without getting a physical hand on it. It it's pretty snug in there. it's not even a straight line-of-sight from on top....

rjp
Old 01-18-2011, 10:32 AM

1996 C280
no way to remove it without getting a physical hand on it. It it's pretty snug in there. it's not even a straight line-of-sight from on top....

rjp
I read your installation instructions on the pelican forum and wondered that since you need to get under the car to get the 5mm hex affixed to the retaining bolt, couldn't I just use a 5mm allen key and do the entire swap from below?

Here's a pic I found claiming to be the location on the C280/C36. This look right?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:11 PM

When you remove that giant plug it's got a raised lip so I didn't try a standard allen. It might work- and ya, that's basically it right there.

rjp
Old 03-17-2011, 11:33 AM

1996 C280
update. I decided to take the car to a local mechanic to swap out the CPS. Turned out the CPS is fine. It was the fuel pump. Had the fuel pump/filter/regulator replaced. Ran fine for a few miles and bam, check engine light! P0300 (multiple/random cylinder misfire). As I mentioned earlier, this was a recurring issue before the fuel pump died. I was hoping the new fuel pump might have resolved it.

The misfires seem to happen when I'm slowing at a curve and then accelerate out of the curve. At the point of acceleration I'll sometimes hear a exhaust pop sound from the engine area and big time hesitation. That's when the CEL will come on and the car goes in default mode (running on less than 6cyl).

Troubleshooting has been a pain since as soon as I disconnect the battery and clear the CEL, it runs fine until I have to get into the throttle. I've change the coils in the past (10-15k miles ago) and thought the problem was fixed but it could have been just me disconnecting the battery when I did the coil replacement.

Any ideas? Plugs? Wireset? injectors? The codes I get are either cyl1, 4, or random/multiple.

Oh yea, I have a brand new CPS if anyone needs it. Will sell it cheap! =)

Last edited by sinlab; 03-17-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:51 AM

E300D
I had a similar problem that was hard to identify, after riding at highway speeds, the engine cut off, but could be restarted after waiting about 1 minute. The problem was that the unit (K40) that provides power to the computer module that governs the engine would fail at a specific temperature range around 100 degrees. It would work above or below that range, but when it failed, it reset the computer and fuel solenoid would shut down.