C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

I was hit by Taxi cap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w202 97 C230
Unhappy I was hit by Taxi cap

I need some help...

Today, I was hit by a Taxi cap in Manhattan. It was not that serious. Actually, it was little bit of scratch on the rear bumper.
However, The taxi driver didn't want to admit that he hit my car. So I had to call the police for help and I got the police report saying it was his fault.

Now, I have no idea what to do cause it was my first time to have this kind of accident. Should I call my insurance company and claim the damage? or Just use rubbing compound to erase the yellow paint on my white bumper? Well, The police man told me that my insurance will go up if I claim for the damage.. but it was clealy not my fault. and I dont want any scratch on my car....

Do you guys have any idea what I should do?
I also want to know how much it is to fix this kind of damage?
I will include the picture...so please help me...

SAM from Fort Lee, NJ (97' C230)

Last edited by zaqwert7; 04-28-2003 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:13 AM

asdf
dont clean it yet. Leave the scuff marks there. Go call your insurance and let them know. They'll investigate it. Just tell your insurance the details of the accident and if it turns out to be the taxi's fault, thenyour premiums will not rise
Old 04-28-2003, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Audi S4
Nah that's not true. NJ has some f*cked up insurance policies, one of them being if you are in a car accident and it wasn't your fault, your premium will still go up just for being in an accident. Did you get the license plate or the number of the taxi that hit you? Then you could go to that company and speak to someone there about it...
Old 04-28-2003, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 SLK-280
He said Manhattan. I know Jersey is only like 5 miles away but in most cases that means 2 hours. When I was hit mine didn't go up any.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:50 PM

asdf
Originally posted by DMXtremeZ
Nah that's not true. NJ has some f*cked up insurance policies, one of them being if you are in a car accident and it wasn't your fault, your premium will still go up just for being in an accident. Did you get the license plate or the number of the taxi that hit you? Then you could go to that company and speak to someone there about it...

wow thats horrible. It doesn't seem fair for someone's premium to rise even though it's not their fault
Old 04-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Almost a Member!

'95 C280
Originally posted by henry47
wow thats horrible. It doesn't seem fair for someone's premium to rise even though it's not their fault
Fair? Who said life was fair? Especially in Manhattan! If what the other poster has said is true about your insurance going up regardless of fault, then your options are few. You could approach the cab co about paying whatever a body shop charges to repaint that portion of your car, but there's no guarantee they'll admit it was their (or their driver's) fault. You could take them to small claims court. Problem is, you'd have to prove to a judge that it really was this driver's fault. You'd need witnesses or photos of it actually happening. The police report proves nothing except that YOU SAID it was his fault. It might just be a whole lot easier to try some polishing compound and be done with it. I know it's a drag, but such is life. I know I'd be bummed if it happened to my car.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:30 AM
Almost a Member!

C220
You might also want to check what the NY law is- I think that the governing law might be where the accident occurred- at the very least, I'd contact the cab company's insurance company. If you have a lawyer friend who'll write a letter on letterhead for free, that might get you something.