C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

99 C280 Sport Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2010 | 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280

Having trouble starting car. Turns on; but, won't turn over. No noise from car during starting process. Could be starter, alternator, or battery I guess. Battery is 89 months old with about only 26,000 miles. Is battery slowing fading/phasing out? Have I about isolated possible problem(s)?
Old 12-15-2010 | 05:20 PM

C280

Update:
Its also a running problem, as the car will get very sluggish and not be able to get up much speed or respond to acceleration. Though engine may rev high, not going anywhere very slowly. Have replaced the battery, though the old one tested good (though getting low; 89 months on a 72 month battery - not bad). Any ideas on what problem can be or is?
Old 01-28-2011 | 11:03 PM

C280
1994 C280 Starting Problem - Security Feature?

A couple of times my '94 C280 has not started when I turned the key. No sound, however the dashboard lights all come on. The first time came back a while later, unlocked the car, put in and turned the key, and the car started right up.

Tonight the same thing happened. AAA was on their way, when I decided to get my briefcase out of the trunk. The trunk was locked when I went to open it, but I always lock the trunk by locking the door. So I went back to the driver door, locked it and then unlocked it. The trunk was unlocked, AND the car started right up when I got in and turned the key.

Must be a security feature that I don't know how to work.
Old 01-29-2011 | 12:11 AM

C280
Your issues have nothing to do with mine...you need a separate thread.

Originally Posted by MBAZER
A couple of times my '94 C280 has not started when I turned the key. No sound, however the dashboard lights all come on. The first time came back a while later, unlocked the car, put in and turned the key, and the car started right up.

Tonight the same thing happened. AAA was on their way, when I decided to get my briefcase out of the trunk. The trunk was locked when I went to open it, but I always lock the trunk by locking the door. So I went back to the driver door, locked it and then unlocked it. The trunk was unlocked, AND the car started right up when I got in and turned the key.

Must be a security feature that I don't know how to work.
Old 02-11-2011 | 01:43 PM

C280
99 C280 Sport Fuel Line Problems

This is related to all of the starting and running problems experienced more frequently lately. Check Engine light has been on most of the time since 2002; nobody has been able to clear for more than a few days at a time. Had the fuel filter replaced and check engine light continued to come on. They checked codes and said the TPS (throttle sensor) was failing and needed replacement; so, had job done. Check Engine light came back on; so, they put back the old TPS, and didn't charge anything - nice of them. They continued to check codes and run tests, determining that the fuel pump and mass air flow sensor needed replacement; so, had job done. Check Engine light came back on hours later. They continued to check codes and test car and determined that another fuel line sensor aa2372 was faulty/failing and replaced it. Light was off for only about four days. Last resort recommendation is to clean the fuel line system. Shouldn't this have been done first; possibly negating the need to replace parts which haven't fixed the problem yet?