C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Annoying paint problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C280
Annoying paint problems

I have had several problems with paint on the hood of my car. When I first got it about a year ago, I had some dents popped out of the hood, and had the front end repainted. All this was done through an awesome Mercedes connection which has since been lost, unfortunately. Anyways, about a month after the work was done, I started noticing a sort of bubbling or rippling thing happening right where the hood bulge sticks up. It got worse and worse, and eventually the paint kind of split open like it had shrunk on the metal and pulled apart. It kept getting worse, so I got it redone by the same place. When I got it back, it looked great- for about 3 months. Now, its doing almost the same thing, but its more of a peeling up, and now its happening on the front of the hood on either side of the grille. When they repainted it, they said that maybe it had been contaminated at some point by a silicone product, etc. I live in AZ ( extreme heat and sun ) so I suppose that could have something to do with it, but I usually have covered parking. Anybody have any ideas??
Old 04-30-2003, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
sand the whole hood down, primer it sand it, primer it samd it primer sand it, then send to a body shop for paint.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood Paint Problems

If you take your car to a Mercedes dealer, even after your warranty is over, you can talk to them about this problem. Doing all of the correction steps yourself probably is a major expense, that no one wants to pay. If you take your car to a Mercedes dealer, they most probably will split the costs 50/50. They did this when my automatic transmission went bad after 4 and a half years. My car has very low mileage, which really helped my case! Another possibility is that you have rock dammage, from driving. This has happened to my front bumper and is quite annoying. Try hand buffing your car with a material like Meguiar's car wax. It seems like this has been an ongoing problem for you, so bring it to the car dealer's attention, and remember, be assertive with them. You bought one of the best cars out there, so you deserve your money's worth. Good Luck with this issue!