C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Q's for those of you who have switched to carbon fiber console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q's for those of you who have switched to carbon fiber console

First of all the issue: the wood that is around the shifter and window switches in my wife's 1995 C280 is cracked.

First of all, if anyone has upgraded and wants to sell their wood console, send me an email at tad@planetisuzoo.com.

Second: how do I remove this piece of wood? I assume that I first have to remove the "cup holder" cover? I'm considering removing the wood and then refinishing it. Worse case it looks horrible and I have to replace it. I'm thinking some very light stain and a lot of coats of polyurethane (buffed in between coats).

-Tad
Old 05-04-2003, 06:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220
To remove the console, first remove the rectangular plastic ring that surrounds the shfiter. I was able to pry it out with my fingernails, moving from edge to edge repeatedly. Some people have needed to use a flat plade. Once you have this out, lift the front of the wood panel, then move to the back part, and "wiggle" it out. You don't need to take off the "cupholder" cover. BTW, refinishing the wood is a *real* PITA. The clearcoat is about 1/8 inch thick, but the veneer is real thin. I'm personally not too pleased with starting the project myself.