C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Battery changed - strange behaviour

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 240 W202
Battery changed - strange behaviour

Hi Merc enthusiasts...

I own a w202 c240 (99), I had done a battery change today and since then the car is behaving differently...
initially the car was literally shivering, can feel this not just onthe sterring wheel but also on the seat...
then the temp guage, the temp started increasing steeadily upto a point (just over 80)
I had a word with the person who changed the battery and he mentioned it might be becasue of the change in setting(all electronics)
and would take a bit to get things back to normal...he said a drive would do the trick...
I tried that however I even noticed that the car wouldnt rev above 3000 and there is loss of power as well...it went over 50 initially, then came back to 40 and I just couldnt rev it up...

till the battery change everyrthing was working just fine(well until the old battery died)

what could the reason be...hope the battery change hasnt damaged anything on the car??

your help is much appreciated...
Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 AM

Mercedes Benz C240
FYI -
Transmissions can get out of whack too... You can take it to the dealer and have them do a electrical system reset (back to the factory settings). That resolved my transmission problem, prior to that I was in limp home mode.

Everything was fine until I left the lights on...then I replaced the battery, things worked fine, but the transmission got worse, until I was in limp home mode. Maybe a reset will help your problems...?

Whenever I hear, changed the battery, now a reset is the first thing I think of...

It might not be your exact problem, but it might help.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:59 AM

C 240 W202
its resolved...

thanks for your reply...yes it was the reset...however my car did that itself I believe...well thats what happened!!!!

I drove it 3-4 miles, just played around with the accelerator...rev it, release it...then it changes gear..did that few times and then it went back to normal...

now everything works as it should...
Old 06-01-2011, 06:39 PM

2000 C230K
Every time you change the battery or unhook it in these cars a lot of electrical systems start tripping out. Your dual mode windows will only be single mode for a day or so for example. it basically resets everything. A forum member came up with a cool work around. Wire a 9 volt battery to a car power plug and plug it in to the jack before oyu unhook the battery. That should keep the memory from erasing.