C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Gas Pedal issues...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C180 Sport W202
Unhappy Gas Pedal issues...

Hello all, my first post in the forum, and yet I start with a rather negative question. Few days ago I bought my first Merc, a C180 W202.
Everything was fine although I wasn't happy with the gas pedal response, it was taking a split of the second when stopped in idle to accelerate.

I went to the mechanic today and he said it might be the spark plugs which he did change, although the situation improved, I told him to double check on it and he did connect a computer unit to the Merc's CPU and he did reset something (no idea what that might have been).

When I left the mechanic, after a few miles I realized the temperature was above the 80 degrees and 1-2 miles after, the gas petal when changing gears from 1st to 2nd and so on would kind of stick to the same RPM it was before! For instance changing from 1st to 2nd on 2.5kRPM would keep the car, while still holding the clutch down to the same level. What would help was to press the gas pedal again while in neutral gear in order to take the RPM's down. As a result, within the next 3 miles I reached near the 100-110 degrees and that's when I decided to call breakdown assistance and bright the car back home.

When the breakdown assistance came they told me it might be the water pump it terms of the heating (it was a bit old from what they said) and as for the gas pedal it might be the computer. At some point they asked me to press the gas pedal down to check the noise and that's when we realized that the RPM's wouldn't bo above 4500!! The breakdown assistance mechanic told me that the mechanic didn't reset the computer properly or he didn't do what he was suppose to do.

Any ideas what that might be?

Thanks a lot!
Doktoras