C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

W202 C200: Hesitating and misfiring engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W202 C200
Exclamation W202 C200: Hesitating and misfiring engine

Hi everyone. I am new here. I have an Australian spec W202 C200 (1998). The car run was running smooth until yesterday when at a traffic signal the engine started to shudder suddenly and lost a tremendous amount of power.

It was driveable but there is a considerable amount of what sounds like engine misfire when shifting from P or N to D. IT sounds fine in P or N, as soon as I shift to D the engine sounds like it is not in sync.

I did check under the bonnet to see if there is anything that is obvious (something come loose or broken), but there is nothing of that sort.

My car is 60 km overdue for its service though. From what I gather after reading the posts here is that it could be a cylender misfiring due to worn out spark plugs or HT cables.

I was wondering if that is the case, I could replace these things myself instead of taking to the local dealership. Can anyone here advise me as to if this could be something like a worn out spark plug or am I looking at something much more serious.

I have checked the MAF sensor, looks fine, engine misfires even the MAF unplugged. I also looked at as much of the wiring harness I could see and could not see any cracks or missing insulation, at least in the parts I could see in the engine. I did wash my engine a couple of weeks back, but not with a pressure washer, just with a gentle stream of water.

I took a video of the engine running to try and get the sound. It sounds almost fine in P and N, but as soon as I shift in D, it starts shuddering.

Thanks a lot everyone for your help!

Here is the link to the video, I could not zip it because it is too big.
Download link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/tbcjnd
Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHytSXfK_I0