C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Engine shuts off 1 sec after crank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2011 | 12:17 AM

c230K
Engine shuts off 1 sec after crank

Hey guys, love the forums soo much help here.

I am having a problem with my 99 c230 Komp.

Problem:
When I crank it the engine sounds fine and runs for about 2 secs then shuts off.

I am not getting any error codes, possibly because it cant report any yet since it wont run?

Cause:
Owner said he tried to clean the engine on it using an engine cleaner foam from Amsoil.
I ask how and he sprayed it into the air cleaner box down the tube heading towards the exhaust manifold.
He said there was a plume of white smoke for about 10 mins while running idle and faded away. Ever since then he has not been able to start it.

Diagnosis:
Checked the fuel pressure and it all within spec.

I remove the main intake hose and spray steady stream of engine cleaner it runs great, no knocks no shaking.
As soon as I stop engine dies.

I disconnect the Throttle electrics and the car runs on its but very rocky. When I open the throttle it dies immediately, plenty of suction as well.

I checked for vacuum leaks and do not see any.
Check compression on all cylinders and all in spec.

I cleaned all electronic connectors under the hood and also on the gas tank(2).
Cleaned the MAF and butterfly on the air cleaner box (not sure what its called)

When the put the key into position two right before crank the throttle sometime clicks, i took off the main intake hose and see the butterfly opening and closing before I crank the motor. This does not happen all the time but thought it could be key.

I am new to Mercedes and always looked all over here for answers.

Could this be the a problem with the super charger and the pre-start not delivering enough air therefore not giving it enough gas?
Why does it seem like air kills this car hitting the throttle and appears to be last of fuel.

Something as simple as a bad fuel filter cause this even though the fuel pump is supplying the correct amount of pressure?
Any other suggestions?

Gas is good in the car as well drained it and add 5 gals of premium.

Thanks,

Bjorn