C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

1997 C280 Any Maintenance I Should Consider??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R350, 1997 C280 SEDAN
1997 C280 Any Maintenance I Should Consider??

Hello all,

I am trying to stay a step ahead with my C280. Is there any maintenance I should make a mental note of that needs to be done? Basically, what problems should I look out for?

I've had the car for 2 years now and already had to change the Evaporator core. I went ahead and changed the heater core too.

I did have the tranny filter changed before I read that it didn't need to be changed. Oh well, new fluid added. Changed the plugs and wires last year also.

There were no records that came with the car. I bought it from an older lady who purchased it new. She upgraded to a 2009.

I change my oil around 3500 miles and I use 20% Lucas additive as well.

Any thoughts? Let me know.

James
Old 08-09-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 Wagon
I would check for suspension components that are subject to wear and tear. Things like Tie rod ends and ball joints. You can check these easily yourself. Jack up the car so no weight is on the front wheel and push the wheel from the bottom upwards. If there is play then your lower ball joints need replacing. To test for tie rod ends, grab the two sides of wheel, and kind of shake the wheel to see if there is any play. Might be best to check out a video or something on this, i did a poor job explaining this in words.
Do this for both wheels.

The wiring harness on these cars is a very common problem and probably should have been recalled by MB. What happens is the wiring harness insulation breaks breaks down over time and because of heat and causes shorts. Also there can be corrosion in the wires. To prevent this, I have heard people wrapping their whole wiring harness in electrical tape for added protection against insulation wear.

Also, one thing that gets neglected is the cabin air filter. When I bought by car the cabin air filter was disgusting, there was leaves and stuff inside. If your interior smells when you turn on AC/heat you can consider changing this. Cabin air filter is in the passenger side footwell.

Apart from these, regular maintenance, replacing filters, monitoring fluid levels, etc should keep your car on the road for a while.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R350, 1997 C280 SEDAN
Originally Posted by leafdude555
I would check for suspension components that are subject to wear and tear. Things like Tie rod ends and ball joints. You can check these easily yourself. Jack up the car so no weight is on the front wheel and push the wheel from the bottom upwards. If there is play then your lower ball joints need replacing. To test for tie rod ends, grab the two sides of wheel, and kind of shake the wheel to see if there is any play. Might be best to check out a video or something on this, i did a poor job explaining this in words.
Do this for both wheels.

The wiring harness on these cars is a very common problem and probably should have been recalled by MB. What happens is the wiring harness insulation breaks breaks down over time and because of heat and causes shorts. Also there can be corrosion in the wires. To prevent this, I have heard people wrapping their whole wiring harness in electrical tape for added protection against insulation wear.

Also, one thing that gets neglected is the cabin air filter. When I bought by car the cabin air filter was disgusting, there was leaves and stuff inside. If your interior smells when you turn on AC/heat you can consider changing this. Cabin air filter is in the passenger side footwell.

Apart from these, regular maintenance, replacing filters, monitoring fluid levels, etc should keep your car on the road for a while.

Hey, thanks a lot man. I have a 95' E320 also an it has been a constant headache with acceleration problems.

I changed the wiring harness on it. I changed the Throttle Body, the Actuator Flap thing, and the MAF Sensor. Still acts up every now and then.