C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Questions about 98 C230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C230
Questions about 98 C230

Hi guys! I just got my first MB. 1998 C230 a/t

The car is in very good condition and runs well, except for a few things: (the car has 103000mi btw)

1. When idling (usually after it warms up but not always) I can hear a ticking sound. It does increase with throttle. I'll post a link to a video that sounds like my engine. NOTE: This is NOT my car. My car only sounds like the very beginning of the video, not the part where it starts to grind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuwUU8lC8GQ

When my friend first got in the car and I started it he thought it was a diesel. My previous car was a VW so I'm used to that typical german 4 cylinder but I don't think it should be making the noise (you can hear in the first of the video) that loudly?

Thoughts?

2. It seems to be a little shaky. Not bad whatsoever, but you can mainly tell it when you are going very slowly. The thing that clued me in to it was when I made very slight turning motions with the steering wheel while driving. The steering feels kind of shaky when I do that. The man that I got it from just put new tires on the car, but perhaps they need to be balanced? Any thoughts.

3. When I start the car, where the odometer is, a little wrench and the number 20000 pops up and blinks a few times then goes away. No other warning lights appear.

4. Sometime the car does not want to shift and stays in first if I'm driving slowly. Is this normal for this transmission, or should it shift a little quicker?

Thanks, and sorry I a MB newb. I love the car and want it to last for a long time!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 Mercedes Benz 280C, 1973 Mercedes-Benz 280
On #4: My comment is that I have heard other C230,C280 owners mention that M-B will stay in first gear when cold in order to "warm" the cat converter. Nothing wrong with the tranny, just M-B design. I think this is stated in the Owners' Manual... Perhaps another member in the forum can validate?

M-B "C" class are great cars and with proper care, will reward you with an excellent drive and reliable service.

Welcome and good luck,
Bob