C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Radio Code Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Mercedes C230
Radio Code Question

I know if I have the OEM radio in the car that I can call teh dealership and get the code; however, I am 99% sure the Mercedes radio that is in my 98 C230 is not the original one (it is a CD player and I still have the cassette holders - can't imagine those being put in with a CD player from the factory). So, is there a way that I can find out the code from the radio controls? I need to disconnect the battery to do some things and I will most likely need the code once I reconnect.

I know with some BMWs I have owned the code was written on the back of the radio but even if this is the case with this one, I hate to have to pull it out just to get the code.

Thanks

BOB
Old 02-29-2012, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ml350
That certainly would help the radio theft industry...

just imagine how easy it would be if all you have to do is power up the radio, get the anti-theft code by manipulating the radio controls and presto you can steal it, sell it and have it work perfectly with no difficulties.

Therefore, this doesn't work on MB. You can pull the radio, get the model & serial number off the radio and have the dealership research the code. You'll also have to prove that the radio is yours (i.e. not stolen) - fairly easy if you bought it from the dealer.

Another method to circumvent this is to use a small battery (12VDC motorcycle or lantern) and connect is parallel with the car battery before you disconnect the neg cable. The electronics stay powered, and a lantern battery doesn't have enough energy to start the car or damage anything.