C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Battery problems with my C230 K sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
Battery problems with my C230 K sport

My apologies if this has been covered in another thread, but I couldn't find anything about it elsewhere.
I have a 2000 C230 Kompressor Sport, 64K miles, and accidentally left my lights on all night Thursday and killed the battery. So Friday I had the battery replaced. Now, since then(saturday & sunday), the car drains the battery over the course of 10 min. or so, and the car loses all power and stops. No battery warning lights, but I've been getting the BAS/ESP and SRS lights since the battery change. I know those are common, but after a bit of running I also get the ABS and then check engine lights (which I assume are coming on from low voltage). I took it to the auto parts store and after much testing they say it's the alternator. Is that possible? Could leaving the headlights on and killing the battery have an effect on the alternator as well? It was working fine before...
I was wondering if something else could be draining the power?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 PM

Who replaced the battery? Could they have installed the battery with the polarity reversed? Did you jump start the car? Did you accidentally reverse the jumper leads? This will destroy the diodes in the alternator, and may be the key to your problem.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:06 PM

2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
I did try and jump the car, but I don't think I reversed the jumper leads. Wouldn't that make a serious spark show? I had Auto Zone install the battery and the negative and positive are in the correct spot.
If anything I think the jumping may have had something to do with it...
I've also noticed that the radio has never come back on. It does nothing when I try to turn it on to enter the code. I checked the fuses under the hood and they're ok... Could that tell me anything about what happened?
Thank you for your input!