C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

1995 C220 Shaking/Missing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C220
1995 C220 Shaking/Missing?

Good Afternoon,

I have a 1995 C220 that my grandfather left me after he passed away. The car has had ALL service and has never thrown a CEL (or any other light or code that I am aware of for that matter). I received the car about 4 years ago and it is only driven about 2000 miles/year (summertime). It has performed flawlessly except....

When I first received the car, I did notice that the idle seems low and when putting it into gear it seems to drop ALMOST to the point of stalling (but never quite does). Also, the trans (auto) seems to shift HARD - I am not sure if this is by design or not? I wasn't sure if this was normal for this car, so I simply ignored it - and it has been driving fine for 4 years.

Yesterday, I started the car up and took it to work for the first time in over 5 months. It started fine and drove fine, but when I got off the freeway (about 30 miles later) and came to a light, it almost stalled and was shaking VIOLENTLY. It seemed to me that not all of the pistons were firing. I was able to get it to the office without stalling, although accelerating with 2-3 cylinders was nerve-racking to say the least.

After it sat for about 12 hours, I wanted the mechanic at work to take a look... Of course, it started right up and idled fine. I got it home, but by the time I neared the house (engine warm), it started missing again and nearly stalled. During all of this, the CEL never came on...

What is the most likely issue with this car which runs FINE after it sits, but as soon as the engine starts getting warm, a cyldinder or two cut out?

I would hate to buy a MAF if it is not the issue... My other thoughts are ignition coils, wires, plugs, clogged fuel injectors, OLD fuel, but none of these seems likely IF the car starts and runs fine when cold.... I also read the wiring harness is an issue, but again... It has not seen water in 6 months, and I don't think any of the above would be a temperature related issue...

Ideas?

- John
Old 06-15-2012, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w124 e220
Shaking

Hi

My car e220 1995 is having the exact problems. Violent shaking and almost stalling. Took it a few mechanics and none of them had a clue. 2 months down the line I discovered that the plug going towards the MAF sensor was completely burnt. At this moment replacing wires. Once I have replaced these wires, we dont know if this will resolve the problem or not

I believe that the engine harness may be cracked and burnt. Not sure how to resolve this as I got a quote for £600 +vat at dealers +labour.

Good luck