C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Performance Ideas for my 230! Need thoughts!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
Performance Ideas for my 230! Need thoughts!

I have a 98 C230 N/A.

I'm use to driving Japanese cars, which are more responsive. That's what I'm trying to get at with my 230. I have a few performance ideas and i was wondering if any of you can tell me if it'll work or if has been done with good results.

"Performance" List:

1. Replace the intake tubing with a 2.5 or 3 inch pipe running from the box with a flat K&N filter to the throttle body, with a custom hole to install the MAF sensor into the piping rather than using the plastic piece.
2. Run a straight 2.5 or 3 inch pipe from the headers all the way to the back with 2 Resonators, and no muffler. (I would like to know any info on shutting up the sound while maintaining a high exhaust flow, im not a big fan of loud exhausts)
3. Figuring that i straight pipe the exhaust system... obviously with no CAT, tuning the ECU to read the normal voltage on the secondary o2 sensor for no CEL and to not run rich.
4. Speed Innovations ECU tune for #3 on the list and to remove speed limiter, increase Rev limiter, and a bit more power.
5. MAYBE replacing the headers with some aftermarket ones, but I've heard that these Germans designed these suckers pretty good...

Lastly, I have the OEM 15 inch wheels with 205/60/R15 - FRONT. 225/60/R15 - REAR. I was wondering if i put '50' Profile if it'll be a problem?(205/50/R15 - FRONT, 225/50/R15 - REAR.) I dont like that it looks like TRUCK TIRES! My Tacoma uses Profile 60!
I have Eibach Springs with Billstein Sports and #1 Pads on the Front. #3 Pads on the Rear, and considering deeply between #1 or #2 Pads for the Rear.

Also when i got my currant tires replaced, my cruise control stopped working, i read somewhere that the computer detects different tire sizes between front and rear and disables the cruise control....???????

Well thats it for now, i'll be looking foward yours guys's opinions, thoughts, and information, Thanks!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ml350
No gains to be had with the K&N and pipe. RennTech proved this several years ago and demonstrated that the air box is the greatest restriction. If you like the ability to clean and reuse your air filter then use the K&N, just not for performance gains.

The C230 exhaust is well thought out... if you feel that you must change, go with proven products from Borla or perhaps Timevalve (see Hemmings Mercedes parts ads). Just randomly selecting a pipe size is not the way to go for better performance (i.e. I had quicker 1/4 mile times using a flowmaster exhaust on the V8 Monza than with straight pipes).

The rev limiter is to protect the engine and the speed limiter is to protect you... if you haven't rebuilt the engine with stronger internals this is a bad plan and the speed limiter is to prevent this Autobaun ready car from becoming a low flying airplane.

If power gains are what you want, research RennTech on the web and either purchase one of their packages or have them do a tune on your vehicle.