C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Buying a used w202 c180

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E230 1997
Buying a used w202 c180

Hi,

I am new here. I do not own a Mercedes yet. I have sat in some Mercedes S class and C class belonging to some friends. I was really impressed by the S class but its way beyond my budget and currently i am thinking of buying a W202 C180.

I have looked at a few cars. Sadly most are in very bad and neglected condition.

There was one I found which is supposedly in very maintained condition. The owner claims he has all the service history however I have yet to see it. I have planned to visit the workshop and ask them for the details of the car.

The car is C180 model 1994. Dark Blue color. auto transmission with leather interior

Bad things:
1. Windscreen has a damage in a small area about half inch square (the owner is a lawyer and stuck up in some protest rally where someone threw a stone at the car)
2. The whole car is repainted. (maybe due to the above reason, the owner did not elaborate)
3. Mileage is 190,000 km.
4. Sunroof opens very slowly and needs servicing and also is not levelled when closed. of the four corners one is slightly down than the other corners.
5. The car's throttle goes up and down when in idle. (maybe some minor adjustment)
5. Left side mirror is broken.
6. AC is ok but not very chilling (day temperature is currently 40'C here)

Good things:
1. Car has service history ( I still have to verify it)
2. Car is very clean from interior and engine also looks clean.
3. Engine sounds ok.

I am going for a test drive on Sunday. What is the suggestion? Should I go for this car.

My main concerns are
1. High mileage 190,000km. I am concerned that future maintenance will increase with major repairs
2. The car was damaged in riot / rally and there might be more to it than visible at the moment and problems might arise in the future ?

I forgot to mention I am in Lahore, Pakistan. Spare parts are expensive while labour costs are ok.