C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

1995 C220 - 188K miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 4MATIC
1995 C220 - 188K miles

Several weeks back someone had asked about major service performed on a similar car with a fair amount of mileage. I was unable to post a comprehensive list at that time but I did manage to find my service records since then; I have summarized the more non-routine, major repairs that have been performed on my car just FYI. I am the original owner of the car and have driven mostly highway miles.

Need to replace A/C condenser
Replaced front lower control arm bushings
Replaced all four shock absorbers
Replaced rear control arm and control arm rods
Replaced blower motor switch
Replaced most of the bulbs inside driver's dash console
Replaced drive shaft flex coupler
Replaced windshield washer nozzles
Replaced front brake disc rotors
Replaced A/C receiver drier

In addition to the items above, I have had problems with the wiper assembly/motor on numerous occasions resulting in malfunctioning of the wiper. Apparently, cleaning the assembly has fixed the problem. However, after the past harsh winter, my wiper stopped working again, unfortunately when my wife was out-of-town with the car. The one mechanic she was able to find, fixed the problem (reconnected some kind of coupling) but did so incorrectly as the wiper now stays on the right side of the windshield in the 'OFF' position, instead of on the left side. Any ideas how this can be fixed?

Moreover, I've had ongoing issues with squeeks/creaks/heaving sounds from the suspension both front and rear. After lots of troubleshooting and lots of heartache, most have become less prevalent or have simply stopped. However, in the process, I had the right rear control arm and all the control arm rods replaced. And recently, the car didn't pass inspection because the front lower control arm bushings had worn out and needed to be replaced. A heaving noise became more and more noticeable and almost dangerously annoying, especially when riding over bumps. Although I had the bushings replaced, I was informed that I would need to have the stabilzer bar bushings replaced soon as well. Does this sound right? (BTW, is a sway bar the same as a stabilzer bar?).

The A/C has also been a source of ongoing problems. A few years back, I had to have the receiver drier replaced and now I am waiting to take my car to have the condenser replaced as it is leaking freon.

More recently, I have started to notice a problem that is becoming more and more worisome. After having driven for about 20 or 30 minutes, the area surounding the gear box and the cup holder as well as the panel housing the climate control switches and sound system, starts to heat up very quickly to the point that it becomes noticeably warmer inside the car, especially since my A/C is not working currently. The surface area feels very hot to the touch. I am confused why this is happening and have not been able to figure out what I should do about it. Please share your wisdom with me regarding this problem.

One last thing, after having a local mechanic specializing in foreign car install brake pads in my car, I have started to notice that the rear brakes on the passenger side start to almost squeel as I depress the brake pad to reduce speed. The squeeling sound only comes from the passenger side, rear brakes. I don't know why this is happening. Can you offer any insight?

I can't think of any other problems that I have had but I shall certainly post any omissions when and if I remember them.

Thanks for your continued help.