C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

CD Player conversion to AUX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K
CD Player conversion to AUX

Friends:

I have a 2004 C230K. It has the 6 CD player installed in the glovebox. It does not have an AUX input in the stereo. I would rather be able to run an MP3 player or my phone [Pandora] rather than the CD player, which is getting old and skips. Is there an easy way to use the electronics going into the CD player to hack an AUX line that I can run to these devices?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Old 08-02-2012, 02:45 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
I did a quick search thinking there might be an aftermarket adapter that would allow you to connect into where the CD input is in the head unit, but didnt seem to find anything. That doesnt mean there isnt an adapter out there, just I didnt find it in 10 mins of searching.

I did find over at cartoys.com an ipod adapter that lets you take the digital output of the ipod and convert it to an analog via rca plugs. If you have aux input in the stereo, you can get some sort of gender-bender to take the rca connections into a stereo sub-miniature plug. Good thing is there is no fm modulator involved. Anytime you introduce something like that, your sound quality is going down. Could be worse I suppose, you could try and use a cassette adapter out of the headphone jack... http://cartoys.com/products/product....A_AdapterCable

My gut feeling is that unless you have the full navigation package and everything is integrated, you can always get more out of a new head unit with all the latest features rather than trying to backfit in stuff to work with your oem radio. As an example, I tossed the original 1998 cassette radio for a relatively low cost alpine and got bluetooth, USB and MP3/Dvd playback all in one single din unit. Handsfree on the phone was a must for me.

I do know that there are adapters available for Honda and Toyotas that let you connect IPODs and USB drives in digitally, but I didnt see much for MB. Look on sites like crutchfield, cartoys and over on ebay to see what might be available. PAC and Schose I think are two makers of aftermarket adapters.

Good Luck.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K
hey...thanks for the advice...I suspect just getting a new unit makes the most sense rather than fiddling with what is in there.

Take care,

mark