C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Everyone with P0410 code - read this first

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone with P0410 code - read this first

Well, I have been dealing with P0410 code for over 6 months. Finally got it!!! So I have decided to share with everyone.

The the initial problem was the left diverter valve. Unfortunately by the time I got the engine light with p0410 code the engine head air passage way was completely clogged.

As a preventive maintenance I replaced both diverter valves and vacuum hoses. The mechanic wanted $1500 to pull the head and clear the passage.

Hmmm, I decided to call Villy, the mechanic from Great Neck NY, to find out is there any way to clear the air passage without taking the head out. Initially he was confirming that the only way to clean it was to remove the head but as the conversation continued he reveled following technique.

Purchase FRIZOL PENETRATING SOLVENT (4 Oz)
Let the engine cool
Remove both diverter valves (careful not to broke the round end)
Locate the holes underneath left/right diverter valves and pour in half of penetrating solvent in each hole.
If the air passage is clogged you will not be able to pour more that half bottle (2 oz).
Repeat the process every 12 hours for few days
Install diverter valves and start the car, preferable outdoor because of the smoke.
Drive the car for 15-20 miles.

if you are not successful the first time, repeat the process.
You may need to do this 3-4 times, but it will clear the air passage.
Once the air passage/s is/are clean purchase and poor in about 2-3 oz of Berryman B-12 Chemtool Carburetor, Fuel System and Injector Cleaner in each hole. Wait 3-4 hours and drive the car for 20-30 min.

It took me 2 weeks and 6 bottle of FRIZOL and a few oz of Berryman B-12. As a preventive maintenance I will do this once a year or maybe more often.

Also, once a year I will use B-12 Chemtool® Total Combustion System Cleaning Kit.

Hopefully this article and my experience will help someone, but please note that the advice contained in this article (post) is for information purposes only and I shall not be held responsible for any damage caused to your engine should this arise.

Kosta
Old 09-29-2012, 11:01 AM

C230K
Kosta...looking at my Haynes manual...what/where is the diverter valve? I have a 2004 c230k.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 AM

2016 SLK 300
My 0410 was the EGR check valve. I removed the tube, cleaned it out, and tested the valve. It was bad, I purchased a new valve and installed it.
Relatively easy, things were tight, but manageable.
That was over a year ago, no issues since.