C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Got my $95 replica Grill off eBay today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C280 Sport
Got my $95 replica Grill off eBay today!

Hi All,

Just wanted to share my excitement with you. After much debate over getting a OEM Avantgarde grill ($265) vs a replica one off eBay ($95 shipped):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2424864460

Call me a cheapass but I chose the replica one. It literally only took 30 min. to fit it in (total of 9 screws). Also the edges were cut nice and straight just if you were curious. Thanks ElJefe for the being the guinea pig and buying from jkmotoring first!

Who needs instructions when you can get it online (thanks Scorchie!)

http://www.blancmange.com/scorchie/MBZ/GRILL/

Here's my BEFORE picture!
Attached Thumbnails Got my  replica Grill off eBay today!-img_0455.jpg  

Last edited by timecop369; 07-24-2003 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:17 PM

1999 C280 Sport
After Picture!

Here's after 30 min. of installation!
Attached Thumbnails Got my  replica Grill off eBay today!-img_0464.jpg  
Old 07-24-2003, 10:18 PM

1999 C280 Sport
straight edges

Edges were nice and straight on both sides!
Attached Thumbnails Got my  replica Grill off eBay today!-img_0458.jpg  
Old 07-24-2003, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: straight edges

Originally posted by timecop369
Edges were nice and straight on both sides!
Looks good on your car!

However, the edges are NOT supposed to be straight.

The chrome strips are supposed to be shorter than the plastic, so that they butt up against the grill frame, instead of going under it. But for the price, and if it doesn't matter to you, then it's all good.

-s-
Old 07-25-2003, 12:28 AM

timecop,

Looks good!!

I ordered the EXACT same thing from jkmotoring. Mine will be coming this week. I've read several reviews, all "positive" about this particular grill. But most have said they did not get any hardware to install it? What was your experience? I'm wondering if mine will come with any hardware?

-J
Old 07-25-2003, 01:53 AM

looks nice. the bekkers grille is a knockoff as well, so as long as it gets the job done just as well or better, i would rather save myself $50.

are your corner lights genuine bosch, or are they replicas too? if they are generic, can you please post who you bought them from? how is the fitment?

both look sharp!
Old 07-25-2003, 02:32 AM
Almost a Member!

C220
Cool. I just got my grill yesterday for $50 flat! And it fits, no cutting required! I just hate those damn metal clips.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by HYPERI0N24
Cool. I just got my grill yesterday for $50 flat! And it fits, no cutting required! I just hate those damn metal clips.
whoa, $50??? thats even better! where did you order yours from?
Old 07-25-2003, 08:51 AM

1999 C280 Sport
Hey jdub0022,

Yup, I got NO hardware w/ my grill. But it's all good, I have no problems reusing the 9 screws & 8 clips. It gets the job done and looks good IMO and that's the main goal. To the average person, they can't tell the difference but to the w202 enthusiasts, it's a big difference esp. if it's parked next to a stock c class.

Rotorgasm, those are replica clear corners I got off ebay also... from procarparts.com ($30.55 shipped & tax) if I remember correctly. My recommendation: DON'T buy the knock offs from them. They fit like crap & leak water. My first set, they did not fit perfectly so as I was driving on the freeway the passenger side corner popped off. Had to buy a 2nd set off those guys on eBay (I'm stubborn). The 2nd set, leaked water as if there was a FAT *** hole in them. I had to take it off, open it up and reseal it. Wasted a day on it, and modify it a bit to make it fit where I heard the "click" sound and prayed it wouldn't fall off the freeway again. All in all it cost me $30.55 X 2 (times). I should have gotten the Bosch ones! Oh well, a learning experience so that you guys don't go through the same pain.

Next on my to do list is the blinking side mirrors if I get a good price. And that's it, I'd be done... I THINK.

Attached is a picture of what you get in the box from jkmotoring. Just the grill!

Peace Out!
Attached Thumbnails Got my  replica Grill off eBay today!-img_0456.jpg  

Last edited by timecop369; 07-25-2003 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:23 PM

wow, thanks for the heads up timecop. i think i will spring for the genuine bosch corners.

im suprised that you went and bought another set of clear corners AND a knockoff grille after all that. im glad for you that the grille turned out okay. hopefully it wont fly off on the freeway!

Old 07-25-2003, 07:22 PM

1999 C280 Sport
I did say I was stubborn right? HAHAHA Before purchasing the aftermarket grill, I e-mail someone that bought it from jkmotoring first (eljefe) and asked him how it was cut and the fit before I went ahead and bought mine.

Once the clear corners were in, and resealed... I haven't touched it since... it's been about a year so far. As for the grill, I made sure it was on nice and snug... don't wanna see it flying off on the freeway too.

Call me the opposite of Rincewind, he's the OEM freak... I'll be the aftermarket freak! HAHAHHAHA

All my cosmetic stuff are aftermarket: clear corners, 17" SLKs, avantgard grill, & aftermarket Pioneer CD/DVD/Navi on it. The essential engine parts, filters, brakes, fluids are OEM stuff.

Good choice on the bosch clear corners Rotorgasm!

timecop369
Old 07-26-2003, 01:33 AM

timecop, I just got my grill today, and will work on it this weekend. Very excited to get this thing on!! When I got it out of the box, I held it up next old grill, and it looks so much better than the dull gray stock grill.... Anyway, yours looks great... so I'm hoping for the same results.

As for the clear corners... I'm stubborn just like you... I want quality stuff... but can't pass up a good "deal." Anyway, I bought the corners from e-bay, and they looked great on the car!! They actually snapped right in. And I was not afraid of them falling off... ***BUT** when I washed the car that day, tons of water got into my engine compartment, because the seals on the corners did not fit well. So not matter how good they looked, and no matter how BAD I wanted to keep them on... I decided I'd better take them off and order bosch corners. My first instinct was to order another set from e-bay... But the odds are, they would leak too... so I rather spend a little extra for the bosch, and get it right...

As for those who've bought corners from e-bay and have had no problems... more power too you!!! I don't knock them IF they work for you... I just wish I had the same results.

-Jdub
Old 07-28-2003, 11:07 AM

I have had both the Bekkers grille and the OEM MB grille. The quality between the 2 is night and day. The OEM one is much more sturdy and fits perfectly.

I have also had the replica clear corners and OEM MB clear corners. Again, the difference is night and day. The OEM Bosche coners fit perfedtly and snaps into place easily and the clips do not break. As well, some replica clear corners have a 2 prong holder that won't fit the 3 prong style bulb holder.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:18 PM

well I just installed my replica grill, and I must say I love it!!! I could see how an OEM grill would fit better... but for the price, I am happy witht the replica for now. If for any reason it gets loose, or whatever, I may change... But for now I'm happy....

As for the corners... I took off the replicas the same day I installed them, and am waiting for the Bosch from Bekkers...
Old 07-29-2003, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Audi S4
you guys with the replica....does it have a cover over the ram intake to protect it from water coming in?? how is the chrome quality? is it stirdy enough?? im now thinking about investing $50 into this new grill...the stock grill is pretty lame. im also thinking about the headlight eyelids, imo i think they're pretty good looking, adds a little sportiness.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Audi S4
also, did you guys get the clip on inner grill or the whole complete inner and outer trimmed grill? the inner grill is only $52. the inner and outer is $80. (on ebay)
Old 07-29-2003, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by DMXtremeZ
also, did you guys get the clip on inner grill or the whole complete inner and outer trimmed grill? the inner grill is only $52. the inner and outer is $80. (on ebay)
where do you see this $52 inner grille? the one i see is $80 and it is only the inner insert, from jkmotoring. got a link or something? i want to buy the $52 one!
Old 07-29-2003, 11:06 AM

jkmotoring is where I got mine... Insert only. Most places sell insert only... even though they show you the outer on the picture.... $80 at jkmotoring. I recommend it.

Although, now I've seen one for $50 on e-bay. Not sure about quality... and reputation of seller?

-Jdub
Old 07-29-2003, 11:41 AM

1999 C280 Sport
$80 + $15 (shipping) = $95

The one on eBay by jkmotoring is just the inserts only. NO outer trimmed chrome, NO screws and NO clips. Look at my previous picture post... you only see the grill insert! It's $80 + $15 shipping = $95.

It does have a little black cover on the right hand side (looking at it straight on) to cover for the air intake. It seems pretty sturdy, and I'm completely happy with it.

Here's one on eBay for $53 Buy IT NOW plus $24 shipping = $77.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6763

Maybe someone should be the guinea pig and try out this seller and let the rest of us bargain hunters know.

Good Luck!

timecop369

Last edited by timecop369; 07-29-2003 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:37 AM

1999 C280
I think maybe I'll pick up one of the 52.95 specials. I'll post a pic and a report once I get it and install it....
Old 07-30-2003, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Audi S4
insert only?? i dont get it...i thought you have to take out the whole grill and replace it with the replica?? someone help me out here... im not exactly sure what you guys are explaining...pictures would help too
Old 07-30-2003, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by DMXtremeZ
insert only?? i dont get it...i thought you have to take out the whole grill and replace it with the replica?? someone help me out here... im not exactly sure what you guys are explaining...pictures would help too
from my understanding, the plastic gridded middle section that comes stock on our cars is a separate piece from the outer thicker chrome bezeled outer "ring."

you can see in the pictures in any of the links provided that the part that you would be buying is the middle section that fits into the stock outer bezel. it replaces the stock plastic grid panel with a series of chrome looking slats. the replacement piece sort of looks like chrome miniblinds, and the stock part that you are pulling out and throwing away looks kinda like a honeycomb panel with three shiny horizontal lines on it.

hope this cleared things up for you.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Audi S4
Originally posted by rotorgasm
from my understanding, the plastic gridded middle section that comes stock on our cars is a separate piece from the outer thicker chrome bezeled outer "ring."

you can see in the pictures in any of the links provided that the part that you would be buying is the middle section that fits into the stock outer bezel. it replaces the stock plastic grid panel with a series of chrome looking slats. the replacement piece sort of looks like chrome miniblinds, and the stock part that you are pulling out and throwing away looks kinda like a honeycomb panel with three shiny horizontal lines on it.

hope this cleared things up for you.
ahh ok yeah i looked the other day at the grill and it looks like the black honeycomb part is separate from the chrome frame. i think im gonna cop myself a chrome grill...

but what about the cover over the ram air??? does the replica come with one or do you take the one off of the stock honeycomb part and place it on the new frame...anyone do that??
Old 08-03-2003, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 SLK-280
No, you just enjoy the benefits of having a slight bit of forced induction at high speeds. Seriously, I bet there's some kind of gain at 70 miles an hour.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Audi S4
but if it was raining...wouldnt water get in and do some problems?