C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

When does the radiator need to be replaced?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 4MATIC
When does the radiator need to be replaced?

Hi, although I have had no problems with the radiator that is currently in my car, I was told that given it's the original radiator and I've driven the car over 188K miles, I should replace the radiator. Doing so, I was told, may alleviate some of the heating issues that I've noticed especially in the summer months in stop and go traffic. And possibly help cool down my gearbox area which tends to heat up quite a bit.

In your opinions, should I replace the radiator? I have to have a new A/C condenser put in the car later this week and was told it would be more labor cost effective to do the two items at one time. However, I do not wish to change the radiator if I don't have to do so.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:44 PM

87 190E 2.6/1995 M3
best advice: if the a/c condenser went south, the radiator is not far behind......happened to me, and at much lower mileage (102K)....for them to replace a/c condencer they have to drain the coolant, take out the radiator. labor should be the same as the rad. has to come out for the a/c condencer to go on.....you might also wanna replace the thermostat (depending on how long it's been in there)...and the 3 hoses (rad. and bypass) if they're weak, and take a look at the fan clutch....this is a golden opportunity to do a good coolong system overhaul, since all these components are gonna be exposed anyway!
Old 07-27-2003, 01:51 PM

2004 E500 4MATIC
Thanks for all the info. What is the fan clutch? I'm assuming the cost for the thermostat and hoses should be fairly reasonable. How about the fan clutch?