C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Fuel Gauge Not Functioning After LCD Repair...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 c230 kompressor
Fuel Gauge Not Functioning After LCD Repair...

Removed and disassembled the gauge cluster on my wife's C 230 K as per the instructions to perform a repair to the LCD readout to obtain correct odometer mileage, ncessary for annual state inspection here in New Jersey.

It was necessary to remove the indicator needles from the dial faces to gain access to the printed circuit board assembly which houses the LCD's.

Did everything according to directions...After completion,I was able to resurrect the original and correct odometer mileage. That's the good news...
In the process, I managed to break the clear plastic dust cover on the front of the gauge face. I have another used replacement coming from a vendor on Fleabay, hoping that I can scavenge the front half of the enclosure and get one good one from the two of them.

The clock readout is missing some "pixels" but my real dilema is that the fuel gauge is not registering at all. I thought that I may have re-installed the indicator needle in the wrong position, so I had my wife fill the car with fuel in hopes that I would get some sort of a reading...Nada-nothing.

I will pull the cluster out again when I receive the replacement and check to see if I missed something, but I thought I'd put up this post hoping that
one of our resident experts might identify my scenario and provide guidance towards getting this working properly again. Big $$$ if I had to go to MB dealership to have this remedied, especially when they find out it was my Goof-Up that caused all of this!
Thanks for takin' the time to stop in and read this!

Best Regards,

Tony
Old 05-03-2013, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML350, 2006 SLK280
I can't help you, but would love to know how you repaired the LCD odometer yourself. Please share where you got parts and how you did the repair (except leave out the part where you messed up the fuel gauge!).

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:37 PM

1999 c230 kompressor
Lol...Hook up to Pixelfix.net - click on Mercedes,etc. The rest is elementary.

(Except for my Fugh-ups)

Best Regards, Tony
Old 05-08-2013, 05:33 PM

1999 c230 kompressor
FUEL GAUGE PROBLEM SOLVED!

Turns out that when I replaced the individual gauge pointers, I pushed the fuel indicator pointer down too hard, causing it to bind against the plastic gauge face. After removing the gauge cluster AGAIN () and taking it apart on the bench, I removed ALL the pointer indicators and fabricated a
.5mm (.020") spacer from a file folder and used it as a gauge as I re-assembled the pointers onto the small motor shafts.

Note: This Tech Tip was forwarded to me by Pixelfixltd. from whom I purchased and received a DIY kit for LCD readout repair. They are from Hungary but that did not stop them from delivering my repair kit promptly with Quality manufactured materials at a fair price and backed that up with one -on- one technical support when I experienced the fuel gauge problem that I had created.

I would recommend Pixelfixltd. for all that they provide...Worked for me!

Best Regards,

Tony