C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Several things quit working at once.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 c230
Unhappy Several things quit working at once.

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 1998 c230 for a good price and everything was working fine.

The car sat for a few days while I got the title transferred and tag ready. I tried to turn on the radio but the word "code" was displayed. I hit some buttons and it changed to the word "wait". I noticed then that the power windows, turn signals, wipers and key remotes all quit working at the same time.

I called MD at the 800 number in the manual and they gave me the code for the radio and advised me to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and reconnect it. I did so and after that everything started working again except the radio still says "wait" on the screen. Even after I waited longer than the 10 minutes that was suggested in the owners manual with the engine running.

I could live without the radio so life was good, then a couple of days later I went to get in the car and the remote on the key was not working again along with the wipers,power windows and turn signals. I tried removing the negative battery cable again but this time it didn't work.

This is my first MB so I read around on the forums here but haven't found much on this issues or maybe didn't look in the right places. Is this a common or known issues with these cars? And is their a simple fix or should I take it in for service?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 c230
Problem solved, If you follow the article below it was one of the connectors for the passenger rear window motor. I just removed one wire at a time until everything started working again.

http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/6...per-power.html