C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Digital Climate Display Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 01:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
Digital Climate Display Problems

Anyone else had any problems with the digital climate display on the newer W202s? The functions still work properly, but the display is on the fritz. Sometimes all of the features are darkened like everything is on, and sometimes I can barely see the temp display (looks washed out).

Any idea if Starmark will cover this?

MB should have stuck with the dials for the controls. I had them in my Volvo before switching to the digital display in a Lexus. So going from this to the digital display in the Benz didn't seem too bad, but I do miss the dials. Much easier that way.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Almost a Member!

98 C230
give the screen a little tap with your finger to get it back to normal..

thats what i do with mine
Old 09-02-2003, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: Digital Climate Display Problems

Originally posted by branshew
Anyone else had any problems with the digital climate display on the newer W202s? The functions still work properly, but the display is on the fritz. Sometimes all of the features are darkened like everything is on, and sometimes I can barely see the temp display (looks washed out).

Any idea if Starmark will cover this?

MB should have stuck with the dials for the controls. I had them in my Volvo before switching to the digital display in a Lexus. So going from this to the digital display in the Benz didn't seem too bad, but I do miss the dials. Much easier that way.
This happens regularly. You can try to get it covered under warranty. If that doesn't work, you can get one from a yard for around $150, and a new one isn't too much more. If you're cheap (like me), then you can try resoldering the connections to the screen. Because if that doesn't work, you can still buy a new one, but if it does work, you've saved a bunch of money. Usually a cold joint finally cracks and needs to be resoldered.

-s-
Old 09-09-2003, 03:05 PM
Almost a Member!

I had ours replaced while it was still under warranty. It never went all dark, instead numerals weren't displayed properly. I found if I ran my finger back and forth it would work right (seemed like to the next day at least) but since it was broke and under warranty... BTW I didn't want that piece of crap in the first place but Americans just HAVE to HAVE climate control. If I could only order a Mercedes here like I can in Germany.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Almost a Member!

C280
Originally posted by via500
I had ours replaced while it was still under warranty. It never went all dark, instead numerals weren't displayed properly. I found if I ran my finger back and forth it would work right (seemed like to the next day at least) but since it was broke and under warranty... BTW I didn't want that piece of crap in the first place but Americans just HAVE to HAVE climate control. If I could only order a Mercedes here like I can in Germany.
Are you saying that you don't have AC or Heat in the cars in Germany? I think you mean the automatic climate control. We don't have to have it, but it is nice. I would prefer the old dials myself.