C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

oil on mass air flow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999c230
oil on mass air flow

I am getting s mass air flow code. When I took take mass air sensor off I had a lot of oil. I am thinking that might be my problem. Can anybody tell what I need to change to fix the oil issue?
Thank you
Cameron
Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML320 (W164) - 201K Miles
Originally Posted by longcolt
I am getting s mass air flow code. When I took take mass air sensor off I had a lot of oil. I am thinking that might be my problem. Can anybody tell what I need to change to fix the oil issue?
Thank you
Cameron
Have you ever replace PCV Valve in your car ? If not, it is time to replace your PCV valve, this could cause lots of issue if you have never changed it. I had same issue and replacing PCV valve resolved this issue. It is located under the engine. You will have to raise the car and look under the engine to get to it. You will not able to do from under the hood.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:21 PM

1999c230
I forgot to mention this is the c230 kompresser. I have not changed the pcv before. Could the oil becoming from the kompresser?(I hope not)
Thank you for your help.
Cameron
Old 09-08-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by longcolt
I forgot to mention this is the c230 kompresser. I have not changed the pcv before. Could the oil becoming from the kompresser?(I hope not)
Thank you for your help.
Cameron
I would recommend you below:

1) Replace PCV Valve (http://www.autohausaz.com/ generally have cheaper original parts OR ebay). You should able to replace by yourself if you can locate the part

2) Buy AIR Mass Flow Sensor (BOSCH Original Parts ONLY) Part # Bosch 0280217114 Air Mass Sensor. Do not buy any after market MAF otherwise you are asking for big trouble. I have tried two after market and none of them worked. At my time of this experiment you can save your time, money and hassle by buying original (around $100) part and fix your problem. If you want to save money on this part you can buy only INSERT(http://www.expressauto24.net/Mass-Ai...or-200-220-CDI) for MAF instead of buying whole MAF to save around $30-40. I bought Original Bosch Insert and install on original MAF buy removing two screw. I could not open those two screw using regular screwdriver, I had to use hacksaw to make a grove in screw so I can use flat screwdriver.

If you do this exactly, you will solve your problem. i had this problem over a year and I know how much pain it could be. I must have spent over $1000 to fix this issue since i took it to local shop and he kept me charging for different parts he kept charging still problem was not resolved. Shop was doing only Mercedes and still could not find out why oil is coming to MAF. Finally I had to do this to fix this issue.

Note: My Local shop did change part# 111 018 03 35 - Oil Separator - Crankcase Ventilation System. I do not this this was the issue though. I think PCV valve was the culprit but you can change this part if you are ok with it. It is very simple to change it. It is under the hoot on passenger side of engine and very visible part of top.

There are tons of Youtube video on how to replace MAF on W202 or other cars. It is very simple process for replace MAF since it is easily accessible from driverside of under the hood in front side of the car.

Last edited by lordofthering; 09-08-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 09-08-2013, 10:47 AM

1999c230
Thank you for your help.
Much appreciation.
Cameron
Old 10-17-2013, 06:08 PM

1999 C230 Kompressor Sport
MAF Sensor

The MAF sensors can be had for under fifty bucks now.. I replaced mine a little over a week ago and my problem went away instantly. I had forgotten how quick my car was before it started having these issues. Like the dude above I went through a lot of different things until I found the problem. I had an OBDII code reader which spit out codes and I simply researched the recommended parts and actions for the codes I was getting.

I replaced in order:

Spark Plugs ($30)
Ignition Coils ($80)
MAP sensor ($50)
MAP sensor wiring harness ($30)
MAP vacuum hose ($4)
Spark Plug wires ($30)
MAF sensor. ($40)

Fortunately for me I did it all myself so I didn't get raked over the coals by a mechanic. As you can see I did all this for under $300. The mechanic was going to replace all that stuff anyway and would have charged me 5-6 times what I paid. Along the way I learned a lot about my engine which will save me a bundle o money later on. It was a pain but it was worth it.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:13 AM

This for those who is having issue with MAF in MB C230 or similar car. If you want to solve problem changing MAF will resolve problem but if you want to resolve problem keep coming, you may want to install OIL CATCH CAN between Oil Separator (On Top of Engine) and Air box. Remove 3/4 " Plastic Pipe joining Air Separator to Air box and install Oil Catch Can Pipe to Oil Separator on one side and Air Box to Another side. This will ensure oil is not going to MAF which is real cause of fouling MAF. Oil Catch can are available around $15 on ebay. It does not have to be any fancy. Idea to to catch oil before it goes to air system.

I changed, MAF 4 years ago and problem came back again and Oil was all over in Air System. This time, I changed MAF as well as OIL CATCH CAN. Not likely to fail again. I have 275K miles on my car