C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

middle age C230 questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2003 | 12:10 PM
Almost a Member!

1998 C230 5-a
Question middle age C230 questions

Middle age 98 C230 questions. My 98 C230 5-A has 82,000 miles. Runs very well, but I am concerned about preventive maintenance, specifically what attention I should give to the tranny. I do what work I can including changing spark plugs, air filter and oil changes. I believe that there is a timing chain and not a belt but would like confirmation on that. Is it correct that if there is a chain there is no maintenance required?

By the way folks, I may be crazy, but this is a very fun car to drive. I love the 5 speed automatic and shift manually often. I much prefer driving this to my 95 BMW 530i stick V-8 although I do miss the high end power. The C230 is much more nimble and lively than the Bimmer.

To improve the handling of the C230 how much cornering gain will I experience by changing to performance tires and wheels compared to keeping the standard size tires and installing a sport suspension?

Thanks

Joel
Old 09-13-2003 | 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Honestly, if it's handling you're after I would do both. I would put some performance rims on there with wider tires AND sport suspension including springs. But I would do the suspension mods first and then the tires and rims. Hell, the wiser choice would be to do both at the same relative time. As far as which would perform better, I would THINK the suspension would give you more gains, individually, than wider tires and rims. I could be wrong though, since I've never had either.
Old 09-13-2003 | 01:48 PM

95 C280
suspention would obviously give you better preformance...i put 18in wheels on my car with 245s in the rear, and the car was much safer...it had a much better grip on the road, but the car would tilt like crazy, which was not good, as soon as i put the suspention, it stayed stiff in the corners, and did not have much tilt, so yea suspention is much better preforamcne...and i put the suspention in mabye month later after i did the wheels

Elvir
Old 09-13-2003 | 03:19 PM

asdf
Originally posted by C280 Jr.
suspention would obviously give you better preformance...
Elvir
i don't think this statement is true. The way you're saying this makes it seem as if your car will go faster with upgraded suspension. I BELIEVE you meant that upgraded suspension would leave to better handling performance?
Old 09-14-2003 | 10:43 AM

Your car has a double row timing chain that should last at least twice your current mileage. Keep in mind that there is no service interval for chain replacement, and it's life depends heavily on your oil change frequency.

With good upkeep, I've seen many M111 mills hit 200K-miles on their original chain.

Most folks think that the tranny fluid/filter should be changed every 60K-miles or so. The process is a bit complicated, and I opt to have the dealer perform that task. Your tranny has no dipstick, so if you want to DIY, you'll have to buy one. Also, the tranny fluid level is critical. The temp of the fluid should be exactly 80C for the level to be set properly. The dealer has a device for doing this. Mine charged me an hour's labour, so it's not outrageous.

My 1998 C230 has the AMG "middle" suspension kit for four cylinder W202 cars. It is not "safer" than the OE suspension, even if you're thinking about active safety. The stock suspension easily handles extreme avoidance moves. However, the AMG suspension makes the car more enjoyable to drive with little sacrifice in ride quality. With these cars, I'd avoid mixing and matching aftermarket bits. Going with a kit designed as a whole for the car will give you the best handling with the least ride degradation.