C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Brake Lamps on after Jumpstart

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230
Brake Lamps on after Jumpstart

Hi all, my 2000 C230 has been sitting in the garage for about 6 weeks and the battery was completely dead. I jump started the car connecting to the battery in the trunk. It didn't start right aware, so I let the jumping car put a charge to the battery for about 5 - 10 minutes. It finally started and the BAS lamp is on as well as the lamp warning light (which was on periodically before the battery died). I also noticed the brake lamps and 3rd brake light are on full time. I let the car idle for a little over an hour and drove maybe a mile before returning home since the brake lights are not working properly (I don't want to get rear ended). I am letting it idle for another hour tonight before shutting it down for the night. Any ideas why the brake lamps are on full time?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C230
Check your brake light switch. From what I understand, this is a common problem. You need to remove the panel under the dash on the drivers side to get at it. Be sure to remove the 2 screws on the panel that hold the OB connection for the engine analysis hook up.
It seems like a 15 minute job,
Once you get the switch, and before you remove it, push on the brake pedal and see if the small shaft moves in and out. It could be stuck, which would keep the brake lights on.