C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

sunroof slider replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 e320
Question sunroof slider replacement

Hi, I need to replace the slider in my sunroof on 97 c230. How do I access it and remove the old one-do i need to remove the headliner? any help from you experts is much appreciated.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:57 PM

Mercedes C250D
W 202 Sunroof

Hi Brett,
To get access I tried dropping the headcloth. This does not give any access to the sunroof mechanism. Next, I tried removing the inner sunroof panel (the one that moves with sunroof). The inner & outer panels are held together by 2 plastic pop fasteners at the front edge of the panel. I used a hooked tool to pull the inner panel down at the front edge. This pops the fasteners & allows the inner panel to be slid back. Now you can see the six 8mm nuts & two screws that hold the outer roof panel to the slides.My roof has metal panel, if yours is glass, you,re on your own!. This outer panel now lifts out easily but watch for shim washers. Now you can see the slide & tilt mechanism. After studying the slides I found that mine were out of sync.The slides are driven from the motor (above the sunroof switch/int lights) by 2 flexible racks going across the car& curving down the side of the sunroof frame. You can see them if you unbolt the motor(10mm bolt & 2 Torx bolts), if you unbolt the motor, you need to re syncronise the slides when you refit it. I found a few broken & bent parts on the slides, & the rack teeth were worn where they meshed with the motor gearbox. This seems to be the root of my problem, the rack jumping some teeth & allowing the slides to go out of sync, then damaging parts of the slides. Ive not been able to repair it yet but it now closes & its watertight.

Its a slightly complicated mechanism in there, but this should allow you to have a look, then decide whether to go ahead or not

Hope this helps you Brett

Peter O Hara
Old 12-04-2003, 12:37 AM

2004 e320
Wow! that was alot of info Peter, thanks for the help. I have the glass slider on my car and it looks as if i will have to drop the head liner-which will be a real *****. Its a shame because just the sun roof slider is bad. the fabric has separated and its dangling down looking very bad. So, what i have deiced to do was bring it to my mechanich who has experience doing interior trim stuff. I just don't want to try and drop the entire headliner on my own, i would rather have him do it, so that if he breaks something he is responsible not me. Thanks for the info and i'll let you know how it turns out.
brett