C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Need help with the two radiator fans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C230 Kompressor
Need help with the two radiator fans

Hi guys!

This forum is great. I love the support on here!

I have a 1999 c230. And she still runs great. The odometer panel is partial burnt out, but I think I have 141,000 miles on it.

I need some advice because I am not sure if the radiator fans need to the replaced.

1. Car has two fans.

2. For my education, I assume that the fans do not turn on every time I turn the car on. Based on my research, it turns on after the engine hits a certain temperature.

3. I noticed after a long drive (20-30 minutes) in Phoenix, that only one of the fans were running. Are both fans supposed to run or do they cycle between each other?

4. I also noticed later in the day, there was a piece of metal wedged into one of the fans. I pulled it out and pretty sure it was in there for a few years. Safe to assume that the fan's motor is burned out?

5. The two fans, are these called radiator fans? Or what are they called since the radiator fan is the main fan behind the radiator? Not the two fans in front of it?

Any help will be appreciated. I attached a picture of the clam on the fan.

** It looks like my image is not linking. so here is the direct link **

http://imgur.com/q18zlOW