C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

dash bugs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 C280, 2002 E320
Question dash bugs

I've developed two little problems with the dash on my '95 C280.

The first one started when I had to remove the steering wheel to replace the ignition switch. Ever since I put it back together, the SRS light is on. I've double checked the connection to the air bag and all looks well. Any way to reset it, or does it mean something is really wrong?

Second, just a couple days ago, my digital clock went super dim. I can still see the time, but just barely and with good light. I've tried adjusting the dash dimmer up and down - everything else works, but the clock stays dim. I've never dug around behind the dash. Could a wire have fallen off or do I need a new clock? And if so, is the clock part of a larger module?

Thanks,
Old 12-03-2003, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Re: dash bugs

Originally posted by richp
I've developed two little problems with the dash on my '95 C280.

The first one started when I had to remove the steering wheel to replace the ignition switch. Ever since I put it back together, the SRS light is on. I've double checked the connection to the air bag and all looks well. Any way to reset it, or does it mean something is really wrong?

Second, just a couple days ago, my digital clock went super dim. I can still see the time, but just barely and with good light. I've tried adjusting the dash dimmer up and down - everything else works, but the clock stays dim. I've never dug around behind the dash. Could a wire have fallen off or do I need a new clock? And if so, is the clock part of a larger module?

Thanks,
Hey there,
When you remove the steering wheel, I believe there is a clip that the airbag is attached to the steering column or something of the sort...so when you removed the wheel, it is possible you disconnected something, but when you do, the SRS computer/module senses something wrong with the system, hence the SRS light.

There is a fix I believe that works sometimes and sometimes not. Start the car. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, then all the way to the left then back to center. Shut off the car and start it back up again...see if the light still comes on. If it does, either u can live with it or go to the dealer.

The clock situation. This is common for earlier w202's with dash lights coming on and off. Most likely it is the bulb itself burnt out or about to be burnt. Those bulbs last a while then just die. I changed a few bulbs myself after being burned by the dealer for replacing a few bulbs ($400). It is real simple. But I think when the server went down, my DIY cluster pull out & bulb change went with it. I can't find it on here.

1) You can pull out the cluster with some small tools. Either you can go to the dealership's part counter and get cluster pulling tools (it's pretty much a slim piece of metal with a 90 degree hook at the end to latch onto the cluster itself to pull it out). You can make your own with some thin coat hanger's. Take about 6 inches of a coat hanger. At the bottom, take about a half an inch and bend it 90 degree's...try to be as precise as possible or else it won't latch on tight enough. Make two of these.

2) Since you've already taken out your steeringwheel, do that again because it will make taking the cluster out so much easier than with it in.

3) Take the two tools and stick then in each of the top corners. Once you wiggle your way in, pull then down till about 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Then pull out...there are ridges on the side of the cluster...the 90 degree angle bend/hook should latch on.

4) Give it a good tug and it will slide right out.

5) Behind the cluster are two wiring harnesses connected to the cluster for Speedo, RPM, Time, Mileage, etc. Unlatch those (they have clips on them to secure them, so undo those and the cables come off.

6) Voila, you have your cluster in your hand now. Look in the back and correspond to the clock area and try to determine if the bulb is blown or it may be the clock screen itself. Which ever, you will be able to replace it on your own by ordering the part at the benz dealer so they don't rape you with their labor to fix something so simple.

I hope this helps you out, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

-G-