C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Replacing corroded g-box/tranny oil cooler pipe - problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C280 Estate
Replacing corroded g-box/tranny oil cooler pipe - problems?

Hi all. Advice needed for my 1998 C280 Estate/stationwagen/break, r/h drive, auto box, petrol (owned for 16 happy years and counting).

I need to replace the corroded solid thin gearbox/transmission oil pipe which runs down from the top of the oil cooler beside the radiator (on the R/H side of the car viewed from inside the car), then turns at right angle to run across the front of the car behind the bumper/fender under the rad (this is where it's corroded) before connecting to a flexy rubber pipe (with metal spiral protector) which then joins back to solid pipe to run alongside the engine to the gearbox/transmission (on the L/H side of the engine when viewed from inside the car). I've ordered both the solid and the flexible pipes in case I damage the latter getting the former off (had to be ordered from Germany!).

It looks like a straightforward job (apart from rusty retaining clip), but are there potential problems I might face? Is access to the retaining clip straightforward (remove radiator cowl? easy? anything else to remove?). Is the oil under pressure? Will a lot leak out? If so, can the gearbox/transmission oil be topped up (is it "sealed for life")? Is there a risk of air getting into the system and causing an airlock? Should the gears be in "Neutral" rather than Park? Any problems I might discover too late to be able to drive the car to the garage/shop?

Any advice and suggestions gratefully received!

Many thanks!
Cheers,
John (London, UK)
Old 06-26-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C230, 1995 C280
c289 transmission cooler lines

Hi John,Haven't changed those lines on my C280 but have on an 190E and should be very similar. Cooling shroud is held on with two clips on top; pull them up and the shroud lifts up and off. Transmission in P is safer than N simply because the car won't roll. Oil is not under any pressure and you won't loose much bit have a pan underneath anyway. Check transmission level when the engine/oil is warmed up and add any thru the dip stick tube. Good luck.
Roger