C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Please HELP, new member, new Mercedes owner, whole new can of worms...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 Mercedes C280
Please HELP, new member, new Mercedes owner, whole new can of worms...

Hey guys (and girls), I just recently acquired a 1996 C280, 150k, auto, etc. Against my better judgement, this was purely an impulse buy... actually trade. I have a 3rd child on the way, so I had to let go of my beloved convertible for the extra rear seat space. I was offered the C280 and despite some minor maintenance issues, I did the deal.

When I bought it, the transmission was shifting awfully quickly, like 2nd to 3rd happened almost simultaneously. The P.O. told me the transmission has shift point adjustments, you can change/adjust when the car shifts... 1st off, is this true? If so, where and how do I adjust? It also doesn't seem to downshift as it should when you slow down or go uphill, only down shifts if you basically come to vitually a complete stop; shift point adjustment?

Second, since getting the car, the same quick shifting transmission has started shifting hard. I've done searches and see that it's "lifetime" fluid (cough*bs*cough), but I'm hoping that between changing the fluid (+ adding some Lucas auto tranny "fix fluid"), and adjusting the shift points, that this will stop without a tranny replacement. It seems to only slam into gear at low rpm, if I accelerate faster under more rpm/load, it shifts rather smoothly. No issues. What's your thoughts? What do I need specifically to check and change my tranny fluid; exact info: part numbers and tools greatly appreciated.

I also have a bunch of little things that I need to replace, so does anyone have a parts car or parts they are parting out? Kinda sucks, my car is bright red with tan leather interior, so finding exterior parts that I don't have to paint isn't easy... so red exterior parts are a plus: even though I don't really need any, I'll possibly buy them for backups/spares. Also, I live in Worcester (and Cape Cod), Massachusetts. I travel between the two often of anyone is local and enjoys meeting for cars, shows, cruises, etc. I'll be honest, I need some serious convincing to keep this car, I'm not overly satisfied with it... It's leaving a lot to be desired, but I could ultimately end up falling in love with it, who knows.

Anyways, thanks for any and all help in advance. I truly appreciate it, and I look forward to sticking around here and getting to know everyone.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:20 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
Well, you're title may be spot on, a can of worms. Tranny issues can be simple or expensive. Would suggest you take it to a good indy shop and have them look at it as well as the rest of the car. You should have done this before you bought it, but that is now history. 96 was also the last year of the biodegradable engine harness wiring, that can cause really strange running issues as wires move around without insulation.

These are good cars if the maintenance is kept up and can be economical if you can do most of it. I would also check for rust on the spring perches and spots you don't normally see, especially if it lived most of its life in a northern climate with salt on the roads.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e550 c207
Originally Posted by robbiegreene508
Hey guys (and girls), I just recently acquired a 1996 C280, 150k, auto, etc. Against my better judgement, this was purely an impulse buy... actually trade. I have a 3rd child on the way, so I had to let go of my beloved convertible for the extra rear seat space. I was offered the C280 and despite some minor maintenance issues, I did the deal.

When I bought it, the transmission was shifting awfully quickly, like 2nd to 3rd happened almost simultaneously. The P.O. told me the transmission has shift point adjustments, you can change/adjust when the car shifts... 1st off, is this true? If so, where and how do I adjust? It also doesn't seem to downshift as it should when you slow down or go uphill, only down shifts if you basically come to vitually a complete stop; shift point adjustment?

Second, since getting the car, the same quick shifting transmission has started shifting hard. I've done searches and see that it's "lifetime" fluid (cough*bs*cough), but I'm hoping that between changing the fluid (+ adding some Lucas auto tranny "fix fluid"), and adjusting the shift points, that this will stop without a tranny replacement. It seems to only slam into gear at low rpm, if I accelerate faster under more rpm/load, it shifts rather smoothly. No issues. What's your thoughts? What do I need specifically to check and change my tranny fluid; exact info: part numbers and tools greatly appreciated.

I also have a bunch of little things that I need to replace, so does anyone have a parts car or parts they are parting out? Kinda sucks, my car is bright red with tan leather interior, so finding exterior parts that I don't have to paint isn't easy... so red exterior parts are a plus: even though I don't really need any, I'll possibly buy them for backups/spares. Also, I live in Worcester (and Cape Cod), Massachusetts. I travel between the two often of anyone is local and enjoys meeting for cars, shows, cruises, etc. I'll be honest, I need some serious convincing to keep this car, I'm not overly satisfied with it... It's leaving a lot to be desired, but I could ultimately end up falling in love with it, who knows.

Anyways, thanks for any and all help in advance. I truly appreciate it, and I look forward to sticking around here and getting to know everyone.

Im sorry to hear about your cars issues.
I went through something similar, except I bought my car from an official mercedes dealership.
my advice,
take it back before its too late. These cars are not cheap to fix. You will end up regreting your decistion if you dont.