C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

C280 Turn signals stopped working after weird engine start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 C280
C280 Turn signals stopped working after weird engine start

Attempted to cold start my 1994 C280 with 175k miles last week and it had some difficulty: Turned key, got a weird sound from under hood, got nothing from engine at first, then it coughed to a start. (in recent weeks it’s been running rough with uneven/roller coaster idle when sitting still.) Once it finally started, the turn signals worked intermittently for about a mile before finally stopping altogether. Last time I had starting difficulty (three years ago) it was solved with a new Overload Protection Relay. So again I ordered a new one and did not drive vehicle for a couple days until I got it replaced. Vehicle has started up fine since (still has rough idle), but the turn signals still don‘t work. Checked fuse and it’s fine. Turn signal has “functioned” only a couple times since installation of new overload protection relay and that was while sitting still. And by function I mean one or two quick blinks when I first start the engine and then nothing else for the rest of that drive or the rest of that day. Through all of this I have NOT received a single warning on the dash or code from the scanner. Any help is greatly appreciated.