C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

22000 C230 BAS/ESP comes on when tap brake pedal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C280 Sport Ed
22000 C230 BAS/ESP comes on when tap brake pedal

I have a 2000 C230 with the BAS/ESP light on. It goes out after starting and comes back on immediately when I tap the brake pedal. The brake lights do not work, the cruise control does not work, the ABS mil is not working at all, don't know if it would be on or off if working or if it is related. I suspect it was monkeyed with previously by the last owner. I have installed two brake light switches correctly calibrating them. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thx

Last edited by azmercedes; 08-02-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 345 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Is the third brake light working..?, did you check fuses..??, did you check ESP relay...???

ZAYED,,
Old 08-31-2014, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sedan (W202)
...my 2 cents worth

Originally Posted by azmercedes
I have a 2000 C230 with the BAS/ESP light on. It goes out after starting and comes back on immediately when I tap the brake pedal. The brake lights do not work, the cruise control does not work, the ABS mil is not working at all, don't know if it would be on or off if working or if it is related. I suspect it was monkeyed with previously by the last owner. I have installed two brake light switches correctly calibrating them. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thx

Hey guy,

I had this problem and, fortunately for me, it seemed to go away on it's own (but I suspect it's only a matter of time that until it returns and rears its ugly head again).

I contacted my mechanic when I was experiencing the problem. He specializes in M-B exclusively and has been working on them for 40+ years - so I really trust his expertise. He informed me that this is a very common problem and that, in all likelihood, it was/is the brake switch (which I haven't yet replaced). He also said that the calibration of the switch is crucial. However, given that you've changed the switch twice already, let's go on the presumption that it's not the switch...

As another respondent suggested, have you checked relays and fuses yet?

I thought that perhaps it could also be a faulty wheel speed sensor - and while that would contribute to the abs not working, that certainly wouldn't stop the brake lights from functioning.

I'd be curious to know what fix you find - and would appreciate you posting your final results so that the rest of us can benefit from your investigative efforts (hey, that's what the forums are all about, no? - sharing knowledge).

Best of luck to you.

Mark
Old 08-31-2014, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C280 Sport Ed
2000 C230 BAS/ESP comes on when tap brake

Thanks both Mark and Zayed for replys. Have had an unrelated issue raise it's ugly head and distract me but should be back on the C230 this week. Your comments got me thinking other ways and I realized this car has brake dust shields all around. I plan to pull the wheels and the shields and clean the abs sensors next, but you're right that would not keep the brakes lights from working. Got to check fuses next also and r&r abs mil. Thx
Old 08-31-2014, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sedan (W202)
Originally Posted by azmercedes
Thanks both Mark and Zayed for replys. Have had an unrelated issue raise it's ugly head and distract me but should be back on the C230 this week. Your comments got me thinking other ways and I realized this car has brake dust shields all around. I plan to pull the wheels and the shields and clean the abs sensors next, but you're right that would not keep the brakes lights from working. Got to check fuses next also and r&r abs mil. Thx
Thanks for getting back. Please do keep us posted as to your final resolution (and you will find one - I'm confident). I'm sure I'm not only speaking for myself when I say that I rely heavily on these forums and the knowledge contained herein to help solve some of common problems. I'd be very curious to know what you find out and learn.

Thanks again.

Mark