C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

GREAT winter tire recommendation (Nokian WR)!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 10:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GREAT winter tire recommendation (Nokian WR)!

After not being able to get up my driveway with the Michelin Pilot XGT H4's during the last snowstorm, I decided it was in my best interest to put on a new set of tires. I settled on a set of Nokian WR

Nokian WR

Instead of a dedicated winter tire, they are actually acceptable for year-round use - and have better wear properties than a dedicated winter tire. Because of this, I was a bit worried about the snow performance. However, the dealer assured me that I would be happy or they would swap them out at no charge within 30 days.

The WR is the first all-weather (they do not refer to it as an all-season) tire to carry the severe service emblem, which apparently is a newer standard by which a tire's inclement weather traction is measured (and is more stringent than the older M+S rating).

In any case, a few days after I had them installed, there was a big snowstorm here in New England (big surprise)! We live about 40 minutes west of Boston, and my wife's company holiday party was downtown. Snow was piling up, and the driving conditions were truly NASTY. Three to 5 inches of snow covered the highways, as the plows had not come out yet. Snow was piled up between lanes as the cars and trucks that were out there were carving a path through the deep stuff.

I was absolutely AMAZED at how well the Nokian's handled in the snow. I got out of my driveway without a single slip. I went up fairly steep inclines with complete snow cover without any problem at all. On the highway, traction was great, but even more impressive was how well the car held a line while traversing lanes. As I changed lanes and hit the deeper snow and slush, the car just continued to go where I pointed it without any major fuss. My wife has a Passat GLX with Michelin MXV4's, and the Benz with the Nokian absolutely BLEW IT AWAY in this snowstorm (I tested both around the side streets).

As for how the Nokian's do in the dry, they are OK. They are very similar to a performance all-season. They aren't nearly as aggressive as a high, or ultra-high performance all-season. They seem to have about as much grip as the MXV4's on the Passat, but feel a little more mushy. Still, they are comfortable and stable, and don't howl at the first sign of a corner. In fact, they grip pretty well.

When the winter is over, I am definitely going to go with a higher performance tire. The Nokian's don't have nearly the sporty feel that the Michelin Pilot's had. Turn in is not nearly as sharp, and they just don't feel as buckled down as the XGT H4's. Still, I am comparing them to a dedicated snow tire. And for this reason, I am very satisfied. They should wear a lot better than snows, and provide much better dry performance than a dedicated snow tire. They are also quieter than a dedicated snow tire. Considering the fact that throughout the winter, I am only driving on actual snow-covered roads about 1% of the time, I think these tires are, by far, the best compromise.

I highly recommend these tires! And since I should get decent wear, I will leave them on a little longer than I would a dedicated snow. That way, I can confidently switch to an even more aggressive summer tire. Actually, I will probably go with an ultra-high performance all-season for the other 6 months.

Mike

Last edited by MichaelB43; 12-22-2003 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:16 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
...I have Nokian wintertires as well...in 225/45-17 but haven't seen a single flock of snow yet...

greetingz,
Old 01-25-2004, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E320, 2001 SLK320, 2000 Lexus RX300
MichaelB43,

I enjoyed your review of the Nokian WR and agree 100% with you. I put on WR's late last fall on my '98 E320 and I think they're a great tire!

My initial experience with the WR was mostly in dry and wet conditions. I was very impressed by how quiet the tire was at all speeds. Initially I was concerned about the traction, but after 2-3 weeks the traction improved and was very good in dry or wet conditions. I understand they're some kind of "bridges" that have to wear off from the manufacturing process. The handling was good for an all-weather tire, but it's not a tire for an aggressive driver. I've never heard the tires squeal even on hard corning.

Winter has finally come to the Cleveland, Ohio area. I'm extremely impressed with the WR's performance in snow and ice. Steering in heavy slush or snow as in changing lanes in remarkably controlled. Last year with my Bridgestone "all season" tires I was afraid to drive the car even in the lightest snow. They were terribly unsafe in snow and ice of any amount. With the WRs, I don't give driving in bad conditions a second thought.

I plan to use my WRs year round, which is the main reason I chose them. I'm OK with the soft ride during the non-winter months.

I've had dedicated Artic Alpin's in the past and although they were great in the snow, dry/wet handling was terribly, tires were noisy, and they only lasted 2 winters. To me the the WR is an excellent year-round tire for normal driving.