C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

ANOTHER FRONT WINDOW ISSUE ON THE C230... YES, NEW ISSUE SO CHIME IN! THANKS!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C230
ANOTHER FRONT WINDOW ISSUE ON THE C230... YES, NEW ISSUE SO CHIME IN! THANKS!

Ok, so I have a C230 and the front windows intermittently stopped rolling up or down. I opened the Driver & Passenger door cards to reveal the window motors and manually powered them from a 12volt source to get them to roll up. So, first trial was successful, its not their window motors. Then, I checked the fuse in the trunk that is for the front windows and the fuse is not blowing, but theres a burn mark on one of the fuse ends, which seems as if theres an "arcing" happening, which is weird because the fuse is supposed to blow right? However, I replaced the fuse a few times because this arcing kept happening. Now, the driver and passenger side windows have stopped working.

The windows will not go up and down anymore, but when I hit the window switch buttons to make the windows go down or up, I hear the Windows Comfort Module(C.A.N.?) clicking(In the rear of the car behind the battery), it's a clicking that I hear coming from that module. So that lets me know the Window switch in the front console is still activating the Windows comfort module in the rear. Also, this same clicking sound happens when I roll the rear windows up and down, so I assume this sound is normal.

With my next trial, I disconnected each rear window motor because I've researched that the rear motors can cause this issue with the front windows, but the front windows still will not work. Furthermore, I disconnected each rear window motor at a time until both were disconnected and that still didn't do the trick.

Now, I went on to purchase a New Window switch for the console(yes, expensive), but I still get the same problem as with the old window switch! As for a couple of other things to mention for information, I've heard something about resetting the windows via the switch, but I can't get them to move to do this resetting trick. Also, I disconnected the main battery in the car a few times during this window switch shenanigans. I'm in a state of disarray because I've tried everything that I know of to get these windows working again, with a bunch of trial & errors. ... The only thing I haven't done is replace the Windows Comfort Module(C.A.N.?) in the rear of the car, hidden behind the battery.

If theres another part or something that needs to be done, please help... It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you