C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

CEL is on , poor accel but shows no usable codes ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2004 | 04:22 PM

Question CEL is on , poor accel but shows no usable codes ???

My CEL is on and the reader is telling me that it's suffered a #1 cyl misfire , a #2 cyl misfire , a #3 cyl misfire and a random misfire but is not pulling a code for anything that might cause it . Any guesses as to what might be the issue ? I thought perhaps it could be moisture in the plugs/coil packs but I checked them and they were fine - and the plugs looked as they should . The car seems to drive fairly normally until ~ 4200 RPM's at which point it is very sluggish - almost as if there is a fuel delivery problem . I'm going to change the fuel filter tomorrow in hopes that maybe I just got an especially bad tank of fuel but is there anything else I might want to check that could be causing this problem yet not make the OBD find a fault ?

Thanks .
Old 03-01-2004 | 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Re: CEL is on , poor accel but shows no usable codes ???

Originally posted by Hawkrider
My CEL is on and the reader is telling me that it's suffered a #1 cyl misfire , a #2 cyl misfire , a #3 cyl misfire and a random misfire but is not pulling a code for anything that might cause it . Any guesses as to what might be the issue ? I thought perhaps it could be moisture in the plugs/coil packs but I checked them and they were fine - and the plugs looked as they should . The car seems to drive fairly normally until ~ 4200 RPM's at which point it is very sluggish - almost as if there is a fuel delivery problem . I'm going to change the fuel filter tomorrow in hopes that maybe I just got an especially bad tank of fuel but is there anything else I might want to check that could be causing this problem yet not make the OBD find a fault ?

Thanks .
possibly try disconnecting the battery. The CEL will reset and if there is a problem, it will come back and maybe it will throw the right codes at you.

*FYI* --> If you have the stock radio, make sure you have your radio code or call your dealer and ask for it because your radio will reset.
Old 03-01-2004 | 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 SLK-280
MAS MAS MAS MAS MAS MAS MAS MAS MAS
Old 03-01-2004 | 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
damn..why didn't i think of that. Yea, misfires are probably due to a bad MAS (mass airflow sensor)...prolly allowing too much air or not enough air.
Old 03-02-2004 | 03:58 PM

I cleaned the MAF with some contact cleaner and it's working just as it should - not sure if it's a permanant fix yet but it certainly hasn't run this well in weeks ! Judging by the number of posts on this subject , at least a couple people from Bosch and MB service departments could retire on these things alone
Old 03-02-2004 | 04:11 PM

98 MB C280
hey, how'd u clean the maf, i'm thinkin of doing it,
thankx
Old 03-02-2004 | 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 SLK-280
I put mine in a ziploc bag with some rubbing alchohol and shook it around for a while. Don't touch the actual sensor with anything.
Old 03-02-2004 | 05:00 PM

98 MB C280
sweet, i'll try that. i had a cold air intake but stuipid walmart puntured my intake pipe when i went in for an oil change( which they coulnd't figure out how to do...), so i just stuck the cone at the maf for a short ride and my CEL came on. i'm gonna try cleaning it, did your cel go away?
Old 03-02-2004 | 10:45 PM

I just disconnected the entire assembly as I don't have any safety torx to get the sensor itself out entirely , and sprayed it liberally with electrical contact cleaner - anything from carb cleaner or rubbing alcohol to Simple Green will probably work I'd venture . It might be best to leave the sensor in the housing anyway as it should minimize the chaces of damaging it . I just set it aside to let it air dry ; meanwhile I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery to reset the ECU and after it seemed good to go , reassembled it and it's working great . Now as soon as I get my SRS light to reset and figure out why the radio code my dealer gave me won't work I'll be set !
Old 03-02-2004 | 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by Hawkrider
I just disconnected the entire assembly as I don't have any safety torx to get the sensor itself out entirely , and sprayed it liberally with electrical contact cleaner - anything from carb cleaner or rubbing alcohol to Simple Green will probably work I'd venture . It might be best to leave the sensor in the housing anyway as it should minimize the chaces of damaging it . I just set it aside to let it air dry ; meanwhile I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery to reset the ECU and after it seemed good to go , reassembled it and it's working great . Now as soon as I get my SRS light to reset and figure out why the radio code my dealer gave me won't work I'll be set !
nice...hopefully the MAS will last a little longer now

As for the SRS, that usually is a belt buckle problem (i fixed it once passanger side...after a while, the light came back on, diagnosed to be drivers side buckle, haven't fixed it since. Been on for a lil more than a year now...just stays on for 2 mins when start up and goes away. my sa said just a delay...so for 2 min, no airbag).

radio code should work, as it was given by the dealer...possibly they gave the wrong one? or looked up the wrong one...
Old 03-10-2004 | 12:51 PM

Try try coil ends. 3 of them sit between the spakplug and the coil packs. 3 of them at $10 bucks each or so. Very common problem causing misfies.