C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Suspension and steering issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2004 | 03:49 PM

2000 W202 C200
Suspension and steering issues

Hi all,
I have a 06/2000 W202 C200 with 60000kms ~= 38000miles on the odometer. To give a brief history of the car, it was lowered 40mm on factory dampers when it was 6 months old for 2 years. It was then put back on factory springs because there were some non-related mechanical issues so that I could have the dealership sort that out while it was still under the 3 year warranty. One of the problems was a worn engine mount at 40000kms at 2.5 years, something I'm really shocked to learn of. 2 months ago, my father hit the left rear wheel against a kerb at parking speeds, which strangely was enough to throw the alignment off. The car was taken to an alignment place and had the alignment reset to factory specifications. Just a few days ago, I took the car to have it lowered again on the same lowered springs I had used before, this time with brand new Konis. After the car was lowered, the front wheels and rear right wheel registered camber values around -1.5 degrees, but the rear left registered -2.3 degrees. Apparently, there has been more damage than I thought before from the kerb hit. The guys at the alignment place advised me that camber is not adjustable on our cars, only toe. A few questions now:
- Which part of the suspension is the most likely to be the bent one? (They mentioned that it may be the knuckle.)
- If it is the knuckle, is it expensive to replace? He suggested "massaging" it (i.e. butcher with a hammer). What I'm worried about is it will result in positive camber at standard height?
- If I do not rectify this, is it dangerous to drive with this imbalance? How hard is this on tire wear?
- Are there any aftermarket parts available to control camber for our cars?
Ok, onto another issue, the steering rack. While the car was on a hoist, the guys showed me that there was freeplay in the steering rod/rack (pardon my lack of knowledge here) and said that it needed replacing together with the tie rods. Is it normal for this part to wear at this age? Could this be a result of driving lowered for 2 years? They also showed me that the front lower control arm bushes were dried out and cracked. The car is really well taken care of and never thrashed over speed bumps or bad roads. Have I turned my car into a lemon? Or am I one of those unlucky ones with a bad one from the factory? I've always looked at the marque with high regard, for its build, reliability and comfort, but that's starting to change. Please help, thanks!
Old 03-12-2004 | 04:05 PM

check PM.