C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Possible suspension issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possible suspension issue

I have recently purchased a 2000 C280 Sport and it seems to be a bit bumpy. In the three weeks I've had it, I had to take it back in because a coil had gone bad....not a big deal. But, the overall ride seems to be way too rouch, even with the sport suspension. I know the tire pressure is about 40psi. I know one of the tires is missing a weight as well so I'm thinking that the tires may need to be balanced, even though they are new. The car has 52K miles on it. Any possible suggestions of the tire balancing doesn't work?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2004, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Re: Possible suspension issue

Originally posted by ajinsport
I have recently purchased a 2000 C280 Sport and it seems to be a bit bumpy. In the three weeks I've had it, I had to take it back in because a coil had gone bad....not a big deal. But, the overall ride seems to be way too rouch, even with the sport suspension. I know the tire pressure is about 40psi. I know one of the tires is missing a weight as well so I'm thinking that the tires may need to be balanced, even though they are new. The car has 52K miles on it. Any possible suggestions of the tire balancing doesn't work?

Thanks!
if the tire pressure is too high, then that can affect the ride smoothness too because the tires are harder, not softer. What tires your running? Michelin? Conti's?

Out of balance would probably give you a vibration/shaking at higher speeds, but overall, the ride in the w202 is pretty smooth. I've never driven a sport w202, so I can't say what the ride has felt like.

Have you tried asking the mechanic to take a ride with you and see what he thinks? This may be the best option so that the mechanic can see what your talking about and he can provide his opinion on what's going on or know what to look for when it's up on the lift.

Good luck, hope this helps you.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try running 30 psi up front & 32 psi at the back.
This is still a couple pounds more than M-B recommends.
Also, if some Nimrod installed super stiff aftermarket shocks, it could contribute to the problem.