C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Possible to repair front bumper/ bar w202

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C-Class w202
Possible to repair front bumper/ bar w202

Hi, my mercedes w202 -00 has been in an accident. Where i hit the trailer hook in the car infront.

The impact bar/ radiator support has been bent. Is it possible to straighten the bar and just put on a new bumper? Or should i replace the complet bar?

Does anyone have experience of doing theese kind of repairs, is it possible and worth it?

Sorry for bad english and this is my first post, Mercedes fan from Sweden.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
84 E24 M635CSi / 95 W202 C36
Everything that got bent should be replaced, either new or used. The bumper reinforcement is part of the structure of the car to keep more fragile components from being damaged and it did it's job.

As far as being worth it? Going to the Wrecking yards and looking for replacement parts instead of new is feasible and cheaper depending on availability.

What's the car value to you? The approximate cost of repairs will depend on that, plus what kind of deal can you work out with your local autobody repair shop.
The following users liked this post:
IMCB (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 04:52 PM

C-Class w202
Originally Posted by zynko
Everything that got bent should be replaced, either new or used. The bumper reinforcement is part of the structure of the car to keep more fragile components from being damaged and it did it's job.

As far as being worth it? Going to the Wrecking yards and looking for replacement parts instead of new is feasible and cheaper depending on availability.

What's the car value to you? The approximate cost of repairs will depend on that, plus what kind of deal can you work out with your local autobody repair shop.
Thank you for your answer, I will go and look for part at an wrecking yard.

Should i try fixing it myself or should I leave it to an autobody repair shop?
I would concider myself quite handy.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
The bumper bar is welded to the chassis in numerous locations, many that are very difficult to access. Changing it is a job for a skilled body shop. I can't imagine a way to remove it in a salvage yard. I have had to repair these before, but not with the extent of damage the OP has. My body shop never replaced the entire bar. The front half of the bar is available separately. All the welds connecting the front and rear halves can be cut out, then the rear part pulled on a frame machine, using a new front half as a guide. Then the new front half welded on. I don't think that sort of repair is feasible with the extent of damage the OP has.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:36 PM

W202 C180
Originally Posted by IMCB
Thank you for your answer, I will go and look for part at an wrecking yard.

Should i try fixing it myself or should I leave it to an autobody repair shop?
I would concider myself quite handy.
H, I have just received similar damage and was wondering how you got on with yours?