C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

C230 1997 - Won't start after battery replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C230
C230 1997 - Won't start after battery replacement

New member here - I'll try to keep it short...

My friend gave me a C230 1997 that his wife bought new.

When I got the car, the battery was almost dead. We jumped started it, drove it home and park it. By the time I got back to it a couple weeks later, the battery was totally gone.
I just replaced the battery last weekend with a proper group 48.

Now, the starter won't engage at all. Everything electrical seems to be working fine. The doors unlocked, the lights work, the steering wheel unlock, the transmission shifts, windows go down, etc. The remote fob seems to work fine, as I am able to unlock/lock the car from outside. I checked all the fuses, everything looks fine. The only thing that seems strange is that the radiator fan also kicks in.

I read a lot of posting about similar issues, but nothing conclusive. There is some references about pointing the key InfraRed to the rear view mirror, but I don't think this applies to mine as I don't have the red/green flashing light on it.

I checked on the starter, and there is no power coming to the solenoid. I believe it's supposed to come from the purple wire in the K40 fuse box.

Since the car was free, and it's not worth much, I can't really imagine paying a tons of money at the dealership - but at the same time, I think it still is worth saving.

Any suggestion where to look? Thank you!