C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Stereo install / alternator noise in '94 C280

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 Mercedes C280
Stereo install / alternator noise in '94 C280

A friend and I recently installed a new Clarion receiver/cd player in my '94 C280. We fed the line level outputs from the receiver directly into the Bose amp, but this setup was giving us some popping when switching tracks and low volume levels. We discovered that this was from a mismatch in line level signals. The Clarion uses a standard line level signal, while the Bose system uses a differential line level. So we installed a line level converter (a Peripheral Electronics' VEN 4), which takes the speaker-level outputs from the new Clarion and converts them into line levels that feed into the Bose amp. This solved the popping and the volume troubles. But now there is a high pitch whine that goes up in volume as the engine accelerates. We think it is alternator noise, but we installed a 12 volt noise filter, and it didn't help. I'm not sure which of the two power cords (constant or switched) it needs to be placed on, or if we need two of them? Any thoughts / has any else dealt with this? Thanks...